Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seed catalogues  (Read 18601 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Seed catalogues
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:31:50 pm »
Does anyone else get seduced by the seed catalogues?

I've just sent off my order to The Organic Catalogue and Thomson and Morgan - it was so hard not to go mad. But I didn't - I have been both conservative and frugal (by my standards anyway). To be honest, in the end most of teh varieties I chose were ones we'd grown before. But I did order 5 tubers of Mayan Gold potatoes which, at £2.49 for five, I will grow in big pots!

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Seed catalogues
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:32:14 pm »
We got a huge range of seeds through some chap on eBay. I think he was from Orkney.

Everything turned out as well as could be expected bearing in mind it was my introduction in to gardening and growing veg. and I'm sure they would have done better in the right hands.

I too am totally seduced by the seed catalogues (I have them all!), but whenever I see something I like I try and find it at the best price - and that doesn't mean compromising on quality. It's like a challenge to me - and think of all the new shoes you could buy with the money you save!  :D

Catalogues have given me a lot of inspiration, but I can't help thinking their products are sometimes a bit of a rip off.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:16:04 pm »
We buy seeds from ebay as well!!! i got a bit carried away and got seeds for 100ft tall bamboo!! havent planted it yet and have no idea what id do with a bamboo forest if i did!!! but it was cheap!! the only problem is once you  start buying its hard to stop!! i went on last time for some veg seeds and ended up spending over £100 only about £10 of that was on seeds but i did get some lovley new shoes lol  :P ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 02:01:21 pm »
aye the orkey nusery is good company i have bought off them too, As i was thinking if it grows up their then it should be okay in my location.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 10:18:17 am »
I have to confess that I have a seed catalogue in my desk drawer at work  ;)

I usually scan through it on a lunchtime and daydream about what I can grow  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS