The Accidental Smallholder Forum

Smallholding => Land Management => Topic started by: valmet10 on August 10, 2019, 09:40:36 pm

Title: electric poles, payments
Post by: valmet10 on August 10, 2019, 09:40:36 pm
ive just taken some land over , from my parents , they got around 100 a year for the poles etc , ive been onto them and told them I own the land they've offered me 60/year , now how do I stand ive no contract or any paper work signed for the poles , can I ask them to remove them from my land !!!
Title: Re: electric poles, payments
Post by: Perris on August 11, 2019, 05:20:12 am
there are companies that specialise in this; I expect a google search would reveal some near you. Do keep us posted how it goes!
Title: Re: electric poles, payments
Post by: Kiran on August 11, 2019, 07:15:38 am
It depends if the lines are there via wayleave or easment. The former you can terminate with sufficient notice. The latter is usually registered with the land registry as having permanent access to maintain the infrastructure and although these can still be removed it's more complicated and will involve legal costs etc.
Title: Re: electric poles, payments
Post by: harmony on August 11, 2019, 07:42:56 am

Our utilities company has a set amount per pole but that might not be a standard rate. If new lines are needed across your land then a land agent would help and I guess they would also help with your query.

Given they have already set a precedent then I would have thought you could expect the same money as before.

I wouldn't think you can easily ask for the poles to be removed but as a legal battle is likely to cost a lot more than 100 so I think you should be able to negotiate with them yourself and get it.
Title: Re: electric poles, payments
Post by: henchard on August 11, 2019, 05:13:11 pm
Do I read this correctly? You're in dispute with your parents over 40 a year!
If you do own the land just get in touch with the wayleave department of the relevant electricity utility company for your area, tell them you have bought the land. They will then check with the land registry and tell you what the standard payments are and start paying them to you.