Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1164 times)

Barnowl

• Joined Sep 2021
« on: September 26, 2021, 11:34:35 pm »
Hi all, what an amazing site - found it by accident this evening and had to register instantly!
We are hoping to become a smallholder in the near future - planned for when the last kid finished A-level, which was a few months ago - yippee!
House is on the market - no offers yet, but fingers crossed it sells, we then hope to be able to purchase a small holding maybe 5-10acres and ideally - become self-sufficient! Not a small ambition given we are both townies! But where there's a heart....

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 01:17:31 pm »
Hi @Barnowl - nice to see a new member with an outline of a plan.  Its great to see how these plans develop over the years so I'd love to see how you get on in the future.

I have allotments and chickens and I like the cycle of using what you have ie chicken poo and weeds to be composted and fed back to the land.

I also like to be productive with a minimum of effort.
I don't like letting land get wasted by leaving it to overgrow with brambles!!
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:44:51 am »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:
You'll find lots of good help and advice on the forums but do go and look at the website articles and diary too.

LizRH

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 10:25:52 am »
Hi Barnowl,  :wave:and welcome from Upton upon Severn.

We're very new to smallholding (when the kids moved out, the pygmy kids moved in...  :roflanim:) and I can remember that feeling of hope in trying to find something with a few acres.  We're lucky enough to have 14 but some of it is used by a lovely local sheep farmer.

This is indeed an amazing site and I have found the responses incredibly helpful as I learn about things that crop up (a lot) with our sheep and goats.  We also have rescue donkeys and a few chickens. 

One thing that has made a huge difference in our confidence levels is having a great local farm vets who don't make me feel stupid if I ask a basic question occasionally.  They will discuss queries on the phone, as well as coming out for anything we really need from them. I switched from a vet that I lost faith in, and it was a good thing to do.

Good luck with your search, Liz

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 01:08:16 pm »
Liz makes a good point about farm vets. We got our first lambs from another local smallholder and asked them which vet they used. Although it was a bit further away than other farm vets, it has really paid dividends. In the last 9 years they have been unfailingly friendly and helpful and I have never given us a bad bit of advice. :)

Hi from south lanarkshire newbie ( or should I say hope to be newbie)

Started by ggennett (7.38)

Replies: 9
Views: 9832
Last post June 08, 2014, 05:14:44 am
by Littleyam

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS