Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Aberdeenshire  (Read 5970 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Hello from Aberdeenshire
« on: July 04, 2010, 08:57:37 am »
Hi All!

Just registered here and thought I would introduce myself.  I am Ponyntrap, I live in Aberdeenshire, have lived her for just over 12 months now after moving from Cheshire, Lock Stock, 3 horses(1 driving horse and 1 in waiting,hence the user name!), 3 dogs and all my worldly goods to live with my partner.

He was living in Aberdeen City at the time but his parents live in a forest cottage near Stonehaven, we discovered early on in our relationship that we both 'had a dream'.  This dream now seems to be coming true!!

In December last year we moved to a converted rented steading, part of a country estate, we aquired 12 acres of grazing for our horses, now expanded to 4 as one is on 'Maternity Leave' whilst his mum has a baby.  We now have 33 sheep, 6 of which are orphans now weaned and in the field, 9 ewes and 18 lambs at foot. 14 bantams hatched from incubater, the cockerel count currently stand at 6, 4 of the chicks are only 2 weeks old so am waiting to see what we have there and finally 6 Ducklings, again hatched in the incubater, they are only about 9 weeks and so far are huge!

Polytunnel is up and housing toms, cucumbers, chillis, peppers, sweetcorn, lettuce and herbs. And the veg garden, considering we had to build raised beds and following on from the horrendous winter we had up here so were late getting them built, it is doing just fine.

Hope to share ideas and experience and gain knowledge on here, look forward to meeting you all! :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hello from Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:59:08 am »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:04:05 am »
Hello and welcome, sounds like your off to a cracking start!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:39:59 am »
Welcome from an Aberdeenshire ex-pat!  Born and bred Aberdeen city centre, moved further and further out, with parents first, then husbands, one and two, then when 2nd died moved down to Central Scotland, less land but nearer the kids.  Only veg, fruit, ducks and hens now - good luck with your dream - live it for those of us who can't!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:55:22 am »

Hello and welcome from the Scottish Borders  :wave:
Anne

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:25:47 am »
Hello ponyntrap, from S Lanarkshire, welcome to TAS  :wave:.  You have really got going quickly - well done ! What breed of sheep do you have? Good luck with making the dream reality  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:34:17 am »
Hello ponyntrap, from S Lanarkshire, welcome to TAS  :wave:.  You have really got going quickly - well done ! What breed of sheep do you have? Good luck with making the dream reality  8)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  :)

Fleecewife we have 9 mule ewes (lost one last week) 18 texel lambs at foot, also 6 orphans we have just weaned and popped in with the rest, thought they were full Scottish Blackface but looking at them now they are growing, am considering they are crossed with a Suffolk, they are fine fine lambs and I'm very proud of my first attempt at hand rearing, thankfully all but one fed off the feeder bucket so I dont get knocked flat when they see me!!  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:49:44 am »
Hello and welcome from a very wet miserable Central Scotland. I have to say, you have made a great start. You sound really well established already.

Beth

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:09:41 pm »
Hi ponyntrap

Welcome to the forum, Im also in Aberdeenshire, about 30 miles North of Aberdeen but I know Stonehaven well.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 07:01:19 pm »
Hi sounds great, all you need to complete the family is  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:   :D

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 07:07:15 pm »
Hi sounds great, all you need to complete the family is  :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:   :D

They're on the list Hilarysmum! Next year I think though, where we were planning on putting them isnt quite ready and I think I would lose them in the bracken before they managed to clear it!!  But they will be coming, along with a  :cow: or two!!  :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 12:46:07 am »
Hello from Derbyshire!!

We have contemplated moving up to Aberdeen - mainly because the house prices are tempting, compared to here.  Just the long journey will all our animals, of which we have a lot - lots of ponies, goats, lots of hens too, llama, sheep, etc. etc.  We also have driving poniies (Dales and Fells) and my OH wants to break our Irish Draft mare to harness too, although he is struggling getting a big enough harness!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:25:59 am »
Hi and welcome!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:57:18 am »
Hi and welcome, I live 45 miles north of Aberdeen. You will find the weather a bit different  ;D

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »
Roxy, I used Eric Gillie to move my horses up, couldnt fault them at all, would recommend them to anyone.

Sabrina, where abouts are you?  We are wanting to view a farm Frazerborough way, are you near there?

Hi from Aberdeenshire

Started by Grassmonster (5.83)

Replies: 15
Views: 5966
Last post October 27, 2009, 10:46:26 am
by nancyscho
Hello from Aberdeenshire

Started by lachlanandmarcus (5.83)

Replies: 24
Views: 5542
Last post September 29, 2010, 05:31:16 am
by woodlandproductsfife
Hello from Aberdeenshire!!

Started by Catbaloo (5.83)

Replies: 15
Views: 5050
Last post November 05, 2010, 08:59:09 am
by Sylvia
Hello from Aberdeenshire

Started by gillsta (5.83)

Replies: 17
Views: 5626
Last post May 01, 2011, 06:11:55 pm
by gillsta
Hello from Aberdeenshire

Started by artscott (5.83)

Replies: 14
Views: 4336
Last post November 27, 2011, 05:52:07 pm
by ambriel

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS