Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transportation of pet sheep over 65km  (Read 1640 times)

Luckyescape

• Joined Jun 2016
Transportation of pet sheep over 65km
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:53:15 pm »
Hi all

I have a question to ask about moving my sheep 310 miles from Essex to Cornwall.

I was thinking of buying a livestock trailer just to transport my two pet sheep down to my new property in Cornwall when it all goes through.  Do do this am I right in reading that as their owner and as they are only for my pet lawn mower use I will be fine to travel them without the a certificate of competence and type 1 transportation authorisation?  Just need their movement paperwork yes?

Thanks in advance for your help ????

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Transportation of pet sheep over 65km
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:38:24 am »
found this in one of the older posts on transportation. (see the links below)

I was led to believe that I would require a type one authorisation. Which requires you to have a certificate of competency (course costs £70). On reading the legislation fully there is a flow diagram 30 pages in, that states if the journey is not in connection with economic activity  ( slaughter for own use) then No transport authorisation is required. Checked this with the welfare in transport team in Carlisle and they confirmed that was correct. £70 saved
Ian

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:16:50 am »
Quote from: hexhammeasure
if the journey is not in connection with economic activity  ( slaughter for own use) then No transport authorisation is required.
Or IIRC "For the leisure purposes of the owner", whatever that means!?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:38 pm »
You are not covered by the legislation if:

• While transporting the animals, you are not doing so in the course of business or trade or it is not for hire or reward
  • You are transporting the animal(s) to or from a veterinary practice or clinic on the advice of your vet
  • The owner or another responsible person is accompanying a single animal (or two people accompany two animals etc). For these purposes, a female animal with offspring at foot count as one animal
  • You are a hobby breeder where the income from your hobby does not exceed the associated expenses
  • You are accompanying your pet animals on a private journey
  • You are taking a pet animal to show primarily for pleasure
  • You are a farmer transporting your own animals, in your own vehicle on a journey of less than 65km
You would be exempt via a few of the categories. The main issue is that the method of transport is suitable and that the animals are fit to travel.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS