Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for organic chicken food reccomendations  (Read 1830 times)

ChalkyBee

• Joined Nov 2017
Looking for organic chicken food reccomendations
« on: August 19, 2018, 12:38:53 pm »
Hi! We're getting our first batch of hens this week and am wondering what's the best organic food for us to buy them?

They'll have lots of space to roam within their coop (in woodland area) as well as having range of the 2-3 acre woodland once settled in. We're getting them for eggs only, not meat, and would like to ensure that any food is organic.

Any reccomendations for feed brands would be greatly appreciated! :)

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: Looking for organic chicken food reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:03:48 pm »
i use Allan and Page layers pellets which I think are organic and have good results.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 04:14:35 pm »
The Smallholder Range are not organic but are natural ingredients and GM-free.  The Organic Feed Company products (also marketed by Allen and Page) are organic.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 02:18:59 pm »
Our organic layers pellets are called Hi Peak from the Devenish Group. It's what our local organic farm uses and sells @ 12.95 a 20 kg bag, which I found really good compared to the feed merchant's prices.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:21 am »
Hi peak best and cheapest but the courier cost adds up.  So if you can add as much as possible to the order then it works out ok.  Think I order half a tonne.

Koojie

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:06:11 pm »
My 2 new babes are happily tucking into Marriages organic growers pellets.  Before we moved here Allen & Page were the ones we used.     :)

Good luck with your new chooks - enjoy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS