Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: German Red Fox Sheep  (Read 10360 times)

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
German Red Fox Sheep
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:23:25 pm »
All

Just noticed that German Red Fox sheep are being brought forward at the Lanark Sale on 18 August. I've never seen them before in the flesh so might take a dander down to Lanark to see them

http://www.dowthwaiteheadfarm.co.uk/fox-sheep.html

Sale details - http://www.lawrieandsymington.com/lanark/sale-dates/saturday-rare-minority-breed-sale

Apologies, just realised that I've placed this discussion thread inappropriately under the primitive section (will try harder next time!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:29:13 pm by namethatsheep »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: German Red Fox Sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:23:23 am »
They do look fascinating - a moorit colour on a fine fleeced sheep.
Check who's selling them - it's not the place you quote as a breeder (hint - see what other breeds the vendor has forward)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 07:09:12 am »
They look lovely! I must Google more about them ;)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:23:03 am »
They look nice. I would love to try spinning the fleece  :spin:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:16:15 pm »
As i understand it technically they are white sheep with high phaeomelanin (red factor) not sure how fine fleeced they are coarser fibres generally carry fibre better.err colour better!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:24:25 pm by kanisha »
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:43:54 pm »

Bionic, I've discovered that spun wool is available from http://www.crookabeck.co.uk/red-fox-sheep.html at a charge of £12.50 per 100g. Yardage 150 yds per 100 gms.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:34:16 pm »

Bionic, I've discovered that spun wool is available from http://www.crookabeck.co.uk/red-fox-sheep.html at a charge of £12.50 per 100g. Yardage 150 yds per 100 gms.
But that defeats the object. I want to do the spinning :-)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 07:09:42 pm »
I'm popping along to the sale in the morning so I'll let you know if there's anything special about the fleece - or the sheep  :sheep:

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 07:47:05 pm »
We will see you there FW
We popped down to the Heb show,  lots of very black 2 horn........not a multi-horn in sight.....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 01:42:19 pm »
I'm popping along to the sale in the morning so I'll let you know if there's anything special about the fleece - or the sheep  :sheep:

There was a Roman nosed ewe with big twin lambs at foot.  Face and legs a lovely rich moorit colour, but the fleece is basically a dirty white - might be a clean white when washed, or pale fawn.  Ewe was shorn so no fleece to judge, but looked like typical 'fore and aft' type - better over shoulders, coarser over britch.  Lambs, fleece fairly short, about 5cm, soft to touch but no defined crimp, also neck wool full of finely crumbled VM, the sort nothing will get out.  These sheep were sold by a dealer so not protected against VM so might be better if owned by someone with fleece in mind.  I could visualise it being spun into a thick singles like Lopi, or a finer woollen spun plied double knit, for a soft, light jumper.  It didn't make me think 'ooh, I've got to spin that'.  Had the colour been the foxy red then yes, I would like to spin it.  Manx Loughtan is a better moorit colour and nice and soft too.

[member=142498]namethatsheep[/member]  Did you buy the foxies?

It was good to see many kent  faces there, including Mr and Mrs Lintmill.  We didn't intend to buy anything and didn't, not even the Valais cross Jacob and Valais cross Shetlands, which were cute beyond belief.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:45:38 pm by Fleecewife »

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 02:31:24 pm »
[member=142498]namethatsheep[/member]  Did you buy the foxies?

No, but did inspect them and agree with your comments. They were reasonable specimens - not exceptional but not bad either. The Coburger Fuchsschaf (to give its proper German name) has a certain novelty value but on the basis of the three seen I  think I'd stick with UK breeds. I'm aware that fleeces can be golden or at least havea reddish hue. As Fleecewife states the three at the sale were off-white. The heads and legs though were attractively coloured..  They realised £130-150 each so not too bad and were all purchased by the same young buyer. I looked at the Romanovs (realised £50-80) but have seen better. I'm not a fan of Valais Blacknose (or crosses) but can see how they would appeal to folk, particularly those that like Ryelands. Thought Hebs were ok but beginning to look like identikit sheep. Thought the unregisted ewes stood company with registered specimens - some of the lambs at foot were good (realised £40-60 for ewe plus twins) Unregistered Soay lambs went for £18 - I remember them selling for just 25p ten years ago. I'm a sucker for the most primitive of our sheep. Eligible North Ronaldsay went for £10 (ewe lambs), £5 (ram lambs) to the butchers.  The real money seems to be with Pygmy Goats (£85-£240), but noticed that coat colour has a large bearing on price with tan bicolours/ tricolours being most favoured and solid black the least popular.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:34:18 pm by namethatsheep »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:06:59 pm »
What a huge shame that the Ronnies went for such a pittance.  A couple of years ago or so, when Palacerigg thought they had to sell off their whole flock, there was fierce competition for the Ronnies.  Now I really really wish we had brought some home today.
You are right on the nail about identikit Hebs - two horned and the blacker the better, as the long term result of breeding for the showring.  We are devoting ourselves now to promoting the Ancient Type of Heb (see my avatar, Gladstone Laughing Boy, for an example of The Ancient Type).  They are becoming ever more popular in Scotland and the North of England, and we have sent a little flock down to Devon, so maybe the word is spreading further afield.

Thank you for the prices.  We didn't stay long, just long enough to hear that a friend sold a Shetland for £150 so was delighted.  I didn't pick up if it was a tup or ewe.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 07:37:58 am »
The North Ronnie ewe lambs were bought by someone both FW and myself know, so the 3 were saved at least.
I bought 3 (registered) Bagot kids (female)  £75 for the 3

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 10:37:54 am »
Oh good.  I'll find out who when I come to cuddle the baby bagots  :thinking: :goat: :goat: :goat: ;D :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 12:39:37 pm »
Fleecewife, thanks for the update about the fleece. Do't think I will be rushing out to buy some

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS