Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb unsteady on back legs  (Read 2763 times)

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Lamb unsteady on back legs
« on: August 12, 2018, 03:54:00 pm »
One of our tup lambs seems to have something wrong with his back legs. He was fine this morning, but now is lying on his own. He can get up and walk, but soon flops back down. He nibbled a bit of sheep mix but wasn't really interested. Where I found him it looked as if he might have been kicking out with his back legs as the soil had been scraped away a bit. He has been heptivaced. Any ideas?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: Lamb unsteady on back legs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 04:45:00 pm »
A long shot, but he hasn't got maggots has he?  They sometimes sit down with the discomfort and keep away from the others.  Are there any wet patches of fleece?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 05:10:16 pm »
Bloat - wet grass?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »
VET could be anything early  CCN /SPINAL ABCESS / SWAYBACK  or in pain /discomfort   internally

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:44:56 am »
Thanks everyone, as soon as I posted this I thought bloat, which it seems it was. I dosed him with oil and bicarb and massaged his rumen and he did seem to perk up a bit but unfortunately was dead in the morning. Perhaps if I had found him earlier the outcome would have been different?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 12:40:00 pm »
Aw, sorry to hear that.  Yes, bloat needs to be treated promptly, and the treatment you gave is often successful if given soon enough.  Don’t beat yourself up.  You’ll know another time.  Look for a tight, distended rumen.  The distension be both-sided but is mostly on the left, where the rumen lies.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 01:11:10 pm »
If the gas build up caused a twisted gut there is not much you can do....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS