Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: renting an acre or two...  (Read 1133 times)

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
renting an acre or two...
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:47:51 pm »
Over the years we have rented, had for free and even been paid :o :o to graze fields around our area and village.
Put up a card in the local post office saying something along the lines of 'wanted a small well fenced field to borrow/rent by responsible smallholder to keep some well behaved sheep. Daily attendance and care of sheep guarenteed. Will help keep grass in check and save you from mowing! Willing to pay ????? per month' and see what happens! You may be surprised how many people with very large gardens and small paddocks will contact you! At one point we had nearly 40 acres at our disposal belonging to 12 landowners as well as our own land!!!
Good luck!

There is so much to read on these forums! And so much info... Brilliant
Just came across this old thread, and wonder how you would manage this kind of thing with sheep movement forms...wouldn't it be a involving a lot of paperwork and regulations?

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: renting an acre or two...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 07:13:52 pm »
We have 3 extra bits of land, 1/2 acre, 1 1/2 and 6 acres (conservation cut for hay, I can graze from sept to March)
As well as our own 2 1/2 acres.
I pay nothing! but keep them in good condition, don’t over graze or let the grass/any weeds get too long.Re movement recording, they are all added to our primary holding so I only have put the movements down in our qon farm movement book.
I’m very lucky but I think I probably ‘earn’ the luck by looking after the land and sheep as well as I can !

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 07:44:12 pm »
Hello Twotwo :wave:
Do you have to travel far to them?
How do you go about adding to your primary holding?
 Is there any paperwork with the landowner?
Who is in charge of fencing?
Do you need insurance?
Someone said to me "don't get sheep, too much BL**dy paperwork ", so I'm now both clueless and wary.
What kind of sheep do you have?

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 12:05:08 pm »
The bits of land are all with in couple miles. My smallholder insurance covers 3 party, I do use electric fencing rather than repair any fences but the two smaller pieces are fenced. The land owners aren’t really land owners in the farming sense, just people who have a paddock they don’t use, a rather vague agreement to scratch each other’s backs.
I rang animal health and asked them to add to my primary holding, I believe you can email now. This only works if they aren’t already under another CPH then you have have to do a temporary holding...., look up on gov.org. I have 12 dorset down sheep and followers.
Good luck with your journey into sheep keeping, warning they are addictive! ????????????????????????

charlie-ia

• Joined Aug 2018
  • Ireland
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:24:00 pm »
I have a neighbour with a holiday cottage within walking distance... This may solve a big problem!
Thank you so much!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS