Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What duck breed do I want?  (Read 2353 times)

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
What duck breed do I want?
« on: August 03, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »
Still thinking about getting ducks. I have kept chickens for about 10 years and thought a couple of ducks would be nice. I quite like the look of Silver Appelyards (I think that's what theyre called). Should I be considering any other breeds? I would like some eggs, and I would like them to be good for meat as well. And quiet....and clean up after themselves! :excited:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: What duck breed do I want?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:01:00 am »
Meat = muscovy
Eggs = Campbell (either khaki or white)
That's what we have. Silver appleyard are beautifull but because they are really large they eat a lot and don't produce too many eggs.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 01:02:53 pm »
Indian Runner Ducks for me, although they are quite skittish

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 01:23:38 pm »
Campbells are great. The surviving duck from our original pair of white Campbells has barely missed a day laying (except for a few months off in the process of moving house) in four years, even through the depths of winter at 900 feet up.

Having said that I've recently hatched a small group of Shetland ducks and they are gorgeous, and an extremely rare breed that is worth keeping going. Meant to be good layers too.

and clean up after themselves! :excited:

:roflanim:

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »
Thanks everybody, lots of options!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:49:43 pm »
We did a batch of pekin meat ducks once, and vowed never again. They were SOOOOO messy, and ate / wasted loads of food compared with the amount of meat on them.

I'd say get a prolific laying breed like utility Khaki Campbells, supplement those with one or two that are fun to have around (say runner ducks for comedy, or Welsh Harlequins for beauty), and then keep meat chickens to eat instead.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:47:09 pm »
Campbells are great. The surviving duck from our original pair of white Campbells has barely missed a day laying (except for a few months off in the process of moving house) in four years, even through the depths of winter at 900 feet up.

Having said that I've recently hatched a small group of Shetland ducks and they are gorgeous, and an extremely rare breed that is worth keeping going. Meant to be good layers too.

and clean up after themselves! :excited:

:roflanim:
Fat chance!  :roflanim:

I'll second the Shetlands.  Love mine - 2 girls 2 boys and two daughters - I know which duck laid the eggs but not which drake fertilised them.  Only problem I have is the lead duck cackles like an old witch, but thankfully my neighbours find her amusing and love the eggs. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS