Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping turkeys for breeding?  (Read 3337 times)

OverWyreGrower

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Lancashire
    • Mistress of Meals - Blog
Keeping turkeys for breeding?
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:46:25 am »
We have been getting turkey poults and raising them for christmas for a couple of years now...

However, we were considering a breeding trio, so we can sell hatching eggs, and raise our own from eggs, rather than buying in.

Technically, space isn't an issue.  We have a small paddock/field, which just needs secure fencing (against our dogs etc).

However, ideally, I'd like to free-range my hens, ducks and turkeys together.  Is this a problem?

I understand that blackhead can be controlled by regular worming, and ground sanitising etc.

How would my drakes and cockerels get on with a turkey stag?  Currently I have 2 drakes and 2 cockerels (with their respective harems) in the same area, and they get on fine together.  Would a stag have problems with them or vice versa?

Could you keep all three together?  Obviously we'd need more housing, but that's not a problem, as we're thinking of converting another graden shed into housing.

Any tips, suggestions etc?
20 chickens, 8 ducks, 2 Boxers, 1 polytunnel, 1 orchard, 1 longsuffering husband!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Keeping turkeys for breeding?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:38 am »
never managed to get a female in the last two years so i have not kept any. they seem fine well ours do. its the geese who like chasing hens.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:29:48 pm »
I have a small breeding group of three females and one stag. When they are  laying the stag is very protective and I would not risk putting anything in  apart from the goats! They can get very viscious and defensive of their area. The youngsters are in a mixed pen of ducks, chooks and turkeys at the moment (all wormed and fresh to poultry paddock.)cause of space. I would not even put another turkey in the breeding pen at risk of an almighty fight. My breeding group grew up with a couple of chooks but when they actually start breeding leave them to be alone, they group attack,not nice. :turkey:

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:09:13 pm »
I am no expert but I know several people who have said to me that it's not wise to mix especially if you are breeding for several reasons one of which was the risk of fighting and as hermit said it's not pretty .. if you have the space to divide up that would be my recomendation.. maybe give them a big enough space and let them free range the rest of the paddock on a rotational basis?

Hope you find a suitable soloution :)

Sam

OverWyreGrower

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 04:01:35 pm »
Thanks everyone!

We're planning on extending our bird area by a few hundred square metres, so will have the opportunity to segregate the turkeys if required.  We'll also have the 'old' bird run, which is a roofed pen, ready by spring (we're re-seeding and planting it), as an option as well.

I'm getting quite excited by the prospect of getting turkeys (since I can't have anything with 4 legs, I have to make do with 2-legs!)  ;D
20 chickens, 8 ducks, 2 Boxers, 1 polytunnel, 1 orchard, 1 longsuffering husband!

Hardfeather

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 04:34:06 pm »
On the subject of turkeys fighting...I had four young bronze stags which I'd run on from the previous year. I also had two breeding females and, because I'd lost the old gobbler, I wanted to choose a new stock male. All winter, they ran together without mishap.

Come the spring, however, there was growing tension from about the end of March. They had about 1/4 of an acre and so kept out of each other's way for a while but, despite that, they wanted to fight. To begin with it seemed as if all would be well, until a neighbouring farmer called at the house to say he'd been passing by and had seen one turkey with another's head right down its throat! :o

I thought he was exaggerating till I went and saw it for myself. It was as if one was determined to swallow the other whole. The head of one was, indeed, out of sight down the other's throat and they were kicking at each other like a pair of kangaroos.

The other thing about breeding turkeys is, the mothers are not all that attentive to the chicks. Unlike hens, which are always searching and scratching for the chicks, turkey hens just go about keeping an eye on the sky, and the chicks more or less look after themselves except when the mother is actually brooding them . There doesn't seem to be much going on between them except for the odd very quiet sound from the mother to which the chicks respond by freezing in their movement, whereas a similar warning from a chicken hen would send the chicks into cover immediately.

I don't know what it is about turkeys, but the chicks always seem to frail and vulnerable. It's a miracle that they even exist, I always think.

OverWyreGrower

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:26 pm »
Thanks for that!

Currently, we plan to have a breeding trio (seperate from our Christmas poults this year), and if Turkeys are that bad at mothering, any poults we hatched would probably be from an incy and end up in our 'baby area' which is in the garage, rather than with a broody. 

Our ducks generally aren't great mothers... I mean, half the time they don't even realise they've laid an egg!  We tend to hatch in incy's and bring up in baby boxes, rather than trusting to mother-duck  :&>

We're still in fairly early stages yet.  We're definitely getting 6 poults for Christmas, I'm just trying to work through the issues of actually keeping turkeys for more than 4 months!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:20 pm »
We incubate our turkey eggs as I agree they are not very good at looking after their eggs never mind young. Ducks the same , they would leave their young to danger and run or eat up all the food themselves before leaving the young to eat first as a chook would. However we have an exception to the rule at the moment with an excellent mum duck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS