Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: crazy pig!!!!!!!!  (Read 4438 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
crazy pig!!!!!!!!
« on: September 04, 2010, 01:15:35 pm »
im pretty sure ive just purchased the worlds craziest pig!he is an 8 week old mangalitza weaner,he travelled in his crate really well yesterday and then as soon as he was in his pen he had a good look around etc...he is next to other pigs and chickens so is not alone i should mention..anyway..its nuts!!as soon as we got in his pen he roared and charged straight for us,i put it down to new place,surroundings etc...
we left him to quietly settle in but he is still doing it this morning,ive had weaners before and older pigs and never had this,its worrying me a bit as he' a boar and ive got a fair few months before 'his time' comes!!will this stop???anyone else had this before??? :-\ :-\ ??? ??? :pig:
'can't rain all the time!'

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
Re: crazy pig!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:13:28 pm »
never seen that before, where did you get him from??  :pig:

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »
from a little private smallholding near us,i got him through word of mouth from a feed suppliers,a friend works there and she is having 2 aswell on sunday,they were in a lovely outdoor area with pig ark etc...and all the pigs looked happy,healthy and settled.was a really nice set up actually!!im hopeing he'll chill a bit when he realises we meen 'FOOD'....lol...if he carries on like this though it will be very expensive suckling pig on the menu!!!!...lol... :D ;) :pig:

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »
maybe he will settle soon, just feeling a little stressed!  Like you I have had pigs of all ages come and go and never seen that before - fingers crossed  :)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 07:54:09 pm »
Have a bucket for his food.  Dont go into his pen but stand outside as close to the bucket as you can.  Divide his feed into tiny amounts and keep feeding in small bursts.  Slowly he will associate you with feed.  Stand your ground cos if you dont he is going to be real trouble later.  Hilary was not so aggressive but I have learned the hard way.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 06:48:02 am »
thanks for that 'hilarysmum' thats what i did yesterday with his food,we did go in but he just ran round a bit didnt charge this time!!
i sat and watched him an he eventually settled enough to go to bed with me there....he popped his head out of his hut and lay down (looking very cute!!)he wont eat his nuts when im there but he has cleared them when we come back so i think we're getting there...slowly...im a bit more confident now that he will be ok in time..xxxxxxxx.thanks for all the response guys..xxxxxxxxxx.... :pig: ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:08:20 am »
Isnt it wonderful the lengths we pig keepers will go to to make sure our pigs are happy.   :D :D

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02:05 pm »
he has calmed down a little now but we have resolved to get him a friend!!went to pick ONE today and now im collecting 5 more kk's on friday!!aswell as 5 runner ducks!!lol...never mind ay..........well husband not quite agreed with that sentiment but hay ho :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:!!

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 10:41:58 am »
we breed mangies and of all the pigs we bred they are the most nervous at weaning, it can take weeks for them to settle in to a new home. he will have got mega stresses by the journey, and being alone will be very upset. they are very intelligent, do not move whe he runs at you, and do not try to touch him. within a few days they settle in well. i have only ever had one aggressive mangalitza and that was a gilt, we ate her  ;D

However once they do settle and have got used to the new surroundings and people they are very friendly and nosey pigs. sit down in the pen and try throwing bits of bannanas, they cant resist, before long he will be sat on your knee.  ;D

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:34:25 pm »
thanks..he is fine now,comes over and as you say he is very nosey... ;D
he now has 3 kune kune boar pigglets with him and they all have a good play together in the mud and get along well......
these are all for meat eventually kk for sausages and manga for chops...etc...im loving having them as they grow though and giving them a good life first.....they love playing with a 'horse feed ball' ive chucked in,keeps them entertained for hours...its like piggy rugby!! :pig: :D :pig:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:16:59 pm »
By horse feed ball, do you mean one of those ultrathick plastic ones where the pellets drop out of when the animal rolls it? We have one of those, pigs loved it but... as we use electric fencing and the pen is on a slope, we had to attach it to something to stop the ball from rolling out of the pen every second. The only thing to attach it to was the top of the ark - a large half-rounded currogated iron ark.
Heavy ball + enthusiastic boisterous pigs playing football with it = previously straight ark now has a sloping roof!  ;D

Used some brain cells the following year and attached the ball to a piece of tree trunk...  :D

Eve  :wave:

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »
LOL...very good..yes thats the feed ball we use,our pens are stock fenced so dont have that problem! they seem to like chucking it in the wolow then lobing it round covering everything(and everyone!!) in mud!!!!!x. :D :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:50:38 am »
they seem to like chucking it in the wolow then lobing it round covering everything(and everyone!!) in mud!!!!!x. :D :pig:

Oh the joys of pigs, no one ever warns new pig keepers they will need a second washing machine

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS