Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tagging back of ears?  (Read 1673 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Tagging back of ears?
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:13:11 am »
Hi all, I have shearwell set tags and will be tagging lambs just before they go to abbatoir. Just out of interest, online and in instructions it says in older sheep it may be necessary to tag back of ears? I cannot visualise what this means?? Can anyone advise or provide a picture?

Thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Tagging back of ears?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:44:42 pm »
The guidance is to tag the leading edge of the ear, facing front.  In older sheep this edge may be quite thick and strong, and it may be uncomfortable or even impossible to get the tags to puncture them.  In that case, you would apply the tags to the trailing edge, facing rear. 

I suspect many of us tag in the trailing edge anyway, as tag loss is less this way ;). And it’s easier when you’re working through a batch in a race, too.

Sorry I don’t have a picture, hope ‘leading’ and ‘trailing’ edge are descriptive enough for you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:45:50 pm »
Oh, and I would be very surprised if you struggled to get Shearwell tags to puncture the ears of this year’s lambs.  So tag them wherever you prefer ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 01:02:39 pm »
Because I’m always happy to have an excuse to look through all my sheep photos  :love: :sheep: :hugsheep:, I’ve dug out a few pics.

Skyhawk has his tags applied to the trailing edge of his ears, and snipped through, in order to reduce the likelihood of them tearing out.

Alice has hers with the loop intact, on the trailing edge.

Skyhawk’s older brother had his applied to the leading edge and not snipped through. You can maybe just see them in the third pic, Bumper is behind Skyhawk to the left.  (Sorry the tag in his right ear is dark blue, not easy to see!  And the yellow one in his left ear is lying a bit sideways.  His were the only tags I didn't snip through, and this was the best pic I could find.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:41:35 pm by SallyintNorth »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 01:29:38 pm »
I prefer to tag the top of the ear, about 1/3 of the ear away from the head. Much neater and never had problems with sheep pulling the tags out. Some of my ewes have it on the trailing/back of ear, in fairness they haven't lost any of their tags either but it doesn't look as tidy. As your lambs are going to the abattoir... it doesn't really matter where you tag, as long as they have a tag in... seeing they will be on a hook sooner rather than later  :innocent:

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 05:31:32 pm »
Thank you for replies. All done now. No problems, although the only one I wasn't happy with was the wether we are keeping, didn't get his tags even so now he looks a bit special ????

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »
I hope the ones going to the abattoir  in the next week or so that the ears have no time to get infected ( I dip all tags in lambing lube before putting in )  and I try to never tag in the summer so keep an eye on the wether you are keeping

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:27 pm »
Will do. We dipped in iodine and sprayed after so hopefully be ok. Also temperature have dropped suddenly to a more Autumnal feel up here. So fingers crossed. Next year will do it before they leave lambing shed.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:17:49 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS