Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Damson jam - bitter edge!  (Read 2886 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Damson jam - bitter edge!
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:21:48 am »
Made a batch of damson jam last night... was expecting the sweet/tart plummy delight my grandmother made all through my childhood.  But this has a bitter edge that I can't get around.  I'm sure that's not how it's meant to taste.  I used 1.8kg of damsons and 1.8kg of sugar (145ml of water).  I would say the bitterness subsided slightly after cooking and cooling, and it's set wonderfully... but still, that bitter edge is still quite present.  Any ideas why this would be?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Damson jam - bitter edge!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:03:27 pm »
The 1:1 with sugar and quantity if water is pretty much the same as I use. I did mine a few weeks ago so if you are doing them now I guess they are all ripe because a few under ripe ones might have that affect?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:18:47 am »
Here's an unpleasant thought for you....Did you split all the fruits to check for larvae? I have about 1:10 affected this year....
pgk

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 01:15:27 pm »
I did not check for larvae  :yuck:  I also have a victoria plum tree and did split all of those and found no larvae at all... so  :fc: it's the same for the damsons.

I have a jar of the last bit in the pan that wasn't quite enough for a full jar, and after a day in the fridge, it does seem to have settled a bit in taste.  So hopefully it'll be OK!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:29:44 pm »
hpefully you were OK. I had about 1:10 in the victoria too

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 09:49:05 pm »
I don't suppose they do much harm after being boiled to setting point in a syrup.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 01:26:35 am »
...and anyway they have been fed on damson so should taste ok.  Just a bit of extra protein.

It might be the skins which are bitter, or sometimes there are small bitter patches in plummy fruit, near the stone, which I dig out.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS