Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar mating  (Read 2106 times)

countrybean

• Joined Aug 2018
Boar mating
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:03:14 am »
I have 3 boars for fattening they are nearly 16 weeks old.  One is now jumping on the back of another trying to mate it. The other pig just stands there letting it.  How can I stop this please?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Boar mating
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 12:00:24 pm »
Take to abattoir

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 01:14:24 pm »
All young stock do this. Pigs, sheep, cattle, goats. If it isn't causing a particular problem I wouldn't worry about it.

countrybean

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:35:05 am »
The thing is the one trying to mate is not just playing he is seriously trying to do something. I am wondering if all this testosterone will taint the meat.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:11:30 am »
You can't stop it unless you separate or send in as suggested above. What breed are they? And do you definitely have all boars?

I doubt you will have boar taint. I have never actually met anyone who has had boar taint in finishing pigs. I have been given bacon from an old, working boar that was very strong. I also know someone who butched an old, working boar and it was fine.

People talk about it but no-one seems to have actually experienced it.

countrybean

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 09:51:32 am »
Oh yes they are definitely all boars! Berkshire x Landrace. Yesterday I put some TCP over the rear end of the one being mounted and it seems to have worked for the moment.  I hoped the smell would deter the one doing the mounting, but maybe it is just a coincidence! Interesting about 'boar taint' - hope you are right.

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 06:17:26 pm »
They all do it... should not be a problem in any way at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS