Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 week old chicks  (Read 2598 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
2 week old chicks
« on: August 26, 2010, 01:26:54 pm »
i have 3 chicks who are 2 weeks old tomorrow.  they have a wee run in the garden - kind of rabbit hutch type with enclosed area at one end (wind and rain proof) and the rest covered mesh.

today the weather is rubbish - in case those in Fife hadnt noticed!! - should i leave them out or bring them in?

i'm kind of thinking that although it is wet, it doesnt seem particularly cold and they do have an area where they are totally out of the rain anyway.  they have theit wing feathers and some tail feathers.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: 2 week old chicks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:35:14 pm »
Rain - what rain Laura??? Ain't it just bloody awful?

I think providing there is shelter they should be ok out and should have the sense to keep dry. Keep an eye on them though. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:57:16 pm »
Rain hasn't got down here yet although it is expected.  Hope it stays off long enough to get the dogs to the woods at teatime.  8 days to go till my ducklings are due.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:29 pm »
All we've had is a wee shower earlier today, but i still bring my 5week old chicks in at night.

They're going out full time next week tho'

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:18:23 pm »
yes mine come in at night, well early evening.  it was just during the rubbish day time weather i wanted folks views on.  they stayed out and as expected hid in the wee sheltered area and only came out when the rain went off - muhc cleverer than us humans

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:45:28 pm »
at what age do you folks start leaving your chooks out at night?

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »
Normally 6 weeks, dependant on how they generally are.

The Araucana's & Buff Sussex growers that i have just now were out overnight at 6 weeks, as they were really well feathered up, even though the weather had cooled off a wee bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS