Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Acrobat hay tedder.  (Read 9721 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Acrobat hay tedder.
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »
I need a tedder and have looked at the price of haybobs and even second hand they are a lot of money for a decent one.

I have used an acrobat years ago when they first came out, but I can't remember if the were any good or not.

I fancy an acrobat and at around £100 you can find a reasonable one, so is it worth getting one.

No clowns need to reply, just acrobats please :D
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

robert waddell

Re: Acrobat hay tedder.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
acrobats were a brilliant tool if you used it correctly always turn the other way from which it was last turned   if you don't do it this way it will rope the hay and after that it is useless even trying to bale it    if you could get a cock pheasant or a flying pheasant just to fluff the row up and also put two into one for baling :farmer:    or go for a lely haymax or hayzip  they are cheaper than the branded haybobs :farmer:

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:57:24 am »
They are cheap for a reason  ;)

I'd bit the bullet and buy a haybob. It will be worth what you paid for it when you come to sell it and every workshop and dealer will stock parts for it - which is something not to be underestimated, particularly for hay kit!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
yes they are cheap for a reason   that reason being to many nuggets that could not set it up properly and gave it a bad reputation     see previous post

we had one for over 25 years and it was used every year never broke a tine never needed any money spent on it   the best hay was made with an acrobat and a cock pheasant
if the swath was damp underneath the acrobat turned it over to dry   any haybob just spreads it about and does not dry it properly
but not many people use a haybob correctly either  :farmer:

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 06:01:47 am »
If you ask around you will probably be given an Acrobat, I have, not as yet seen but there to collect for free. Will give him something in return.
I have never used one but watched them when younger so they interest me, so will be tapping Mr Waddle for tips. But the older end always remark that there is no waste with an Acrobat 'if you know what yer doing'.
I used a Hay Bob this time for a farmer on my tractor. I requested a hay rake to pull the missed swarth back into the wind rows and told not to bother, it just seems to be accepted practice all the waste. Even more so with the bigger stuff ? I suppose this is a topic on its own. Acrobat v Wuffler v Cock Pheasant v Haybob v Conditioners?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:05:17 pm »
Where is the answer to this one ???   :rant:    Need to know before I start next year    :sunshine:
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »
the wuffler is normally one row the cock pheasant is two rows and it can put two into one as well  they also made a flying pheasant  which is 3 point linkage mounted  Nicholson also made a pheasant type tedder as well   haybobs are good as well but like the acrobat you have to reted the opposite direction to the last time   what ever you get make sure you can spares for it    vicon lely should be able to have them    once you get whatever you want get a proper instruction book worth even £50 esp for the acrobat     if set correctly and used as per the book you will love it    haybobs  the most important thing is row it up at night    and don't go any wider than a five and a half cut   that is how they miss bits :farmer:

luke.wiseman

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »
If you are serious about finding an instruction manual for the acrobat, try here: https://ien.vicon.eu/About-Vicon/Vicon-100-Years-of-Innovation/A-Wide-Product-History-Portfolio
There is a picture on the left which could be an Acrobat and downloading the picture gives you (or at least gave me) an brief instruction manual for the "Vicon Acrobat".
A bit late for this hay-making season, but maybe useful for next year.
Good luck and best wishes, Luke

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 06:37:15 pm »
After using acrobat/wuffler / cock pheasant combinations up until the late 70's then moving onto a haybobs I would not go back  .  I bought a hay bob for £300 in 93 and sold it in 05 for £400 , simple to work on  and parts easy to buy  just check that it runs and the gearing is ok

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS