Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shady veg patch  (Read 2585 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Shady veg patch
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:16 pm »
Hi All!  Have had some success this year with the veg patch.  However, part of one of our plots is shaded by trees for some of the day - it gets the morning sun, but is in shade after about 1pm.  We have grown potatoes in it this year and they've done well, but if we are to rotate our 'crops' then we need a change this spring.  Anyone any suggestions as to what we can grow in this part of the plot?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Shady veg patch
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:45:26 pm »
Nothing much likes shade, and most things taste better when grown in the sun, but you could try Raspberries, Alpine Strawberries, Rhubarb, Jerusalem Artichokes

Could you "lift the crown" of the tree to allow in more light

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:09 pm »
Yes, Raspberries - hadn't thought of that.  We have some rhubarb there already, and wouldn't know what to do with artichokes.  Now raspberries is a great idea.......love the jam.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:41 pm »
Jerusalem Artichokes make delicious soup (though a bit "windy" if you know what I mean)

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS