NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: In pig sow with others  (Read 61 times)

The_Hawthorne_Pack

• Joined Jun 2015
In pig sow with others
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:35 pm »
 :pig:  We have an in-pig sow in a large free range pen with other pigs (two other sows and a boar).  Should I separate her and when?  :pig:
Voss Electric Fence

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: In pig sow with others
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:28 pm »
I am not an expert by any means but I let my girls free-range and there are enough houses so that I do not need to separate them I just close the ark off when one girl starts to farrow. My girls are in sync naturally so they tend to farrow within a few days of each other and after the first few days of lockdown they end up creching their piglets and sharing mothering duties. So far this has worked well! I read a lot about natural pig keeping and its worked for me. My pigs were raised together though so they have their hierarchy well sorted and they do not fight so its all fairly simple. when I did try to separate them first time round they got stressed so I let them in together and everyone was much happier. I guess you just have to do what works for you and your pigs. I have had pigs for only 5 years and this is just my own experience, hope it helps!

I would personally never have the boar in with the girls until after weaning and then they all hang out together quite happily but the piglets at this stage have been moved to other quarters for fattening!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: In pig sow with others
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:46 pm »
Due to circumstances i often have a sow farrow in a pen of multiple sows with the boar and multiple arks.

I'm trying to move away from this situation however as we lost a lot over winter and not entirely due to the conditions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2018. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS