Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram hire  (Read 1440 times)

TB

• Joined Jul 2018
Ram hire
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:34:44 am »
Hi
I am looking to hire a ram this year to cover my 11 Ryeland ewes, can anyone point me in the right direction, I have joined the ryeland society but am still waiting for a reply and don’t want to be last in line for a gorgeous hunk, any ideas please?

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Re: Ram hire
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:14:45 pm »
Hi TB we have coloured Ryelands but ended up buying our Tup from one of the RFBS members that we met via the local branch meetings and subsequently at some of the agricultural shows. We found that hiring a Tup was difficult as often the owners are breeding show stock and aren’t keen on loaning their good quality Tups out. We probably paid more for our boy than we needed to as we were initially thinking about showing but now realise that we don’t have the time. My advice is to look in the flock book, find some local breeders and contact them to ask if they loan. If you are hoping to breed show stock then you may have to buy. All the people that we have met via the RFBS have been very helpful and friendly though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Ram hire
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:02:38 pm »
A lot of folks - with any breed or type, especially if not breeding to show themselves - buy a tup lamb, use him and eat him.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS