Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grazing no longer rotating  (Read 5239 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Grazing no longer rotating
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:51 am »
We normally do cattle - sheep - ponies, each grazing closer than the last and nullifying the worms of the previous occupants.  But I have to say that in this current long dry spell, the grass is struggling to come back from the ponies if we leave them on to eat it as short as we would usually.  Still working on how to do it, but I'm kind of having one sacrificial area that the ponies come back to (and I'll feed them hay if I need to, rather than let them graze another area too short), interspersed with letting the ponies in with the cattle for a day or two now and again. 

Christine Page (Pasture for Life) says of her cattle she lets them 'eat a third, trample a third, leave a third' before she moves them on.  I like that.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 01:26:38 pm »
Christine Page (Pasture for Life) says of her cattle she lets them 'eat a third, trample a third, leave a third' before she moves them on.  I like that.
Yes, I like that too.

If you like that you will like this (if you haven't seen it already) - Planned Holistic Grazing:
https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 04:56:48 pm »
I'm a member of PFLA but still learning and absorbing.

Anecdote from the rain (finally!!!!) this weekend - the fresher pasture that hasn't been grazed right down has seemed to absorb the water much better. It's being held close to the ground by the trampled stems and leaves as opposed to just draining straight off dry ground.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 10:13:40 am »
[

If you like that you will like this (if you haven't seen it already) - Planned Holistic Grazing:
https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_reverse_climate_change

Wow. That is amazing. Well worth looking at and makes you think. :thinking:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »
You can google "regenerative agriculture" and the "savory institute" for more stuff on that subject if you are interested.  :)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 07:20:37 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 01:14:10 pm »
Yes, I like that too.

Wow, just watched this, so enlightening, we all know about rotation, but this proves so much (and one in the eye for vegans).
It should really be televised,  general public could use a wakeup call as well  :)

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 01:56:44 pm »
Here is a longer and more detailed version of his lecture. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEAFTsFH_x4

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS