Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stuffing sausages among other things  (Read 2673 times)

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
Stuffing sausages among other things
« on: July 01, 2018, 10:27:31 am »
Yesterday I went to an auction, and even if i'm more or less broke this month I bought a unused Kenwood Chef A701A for about 17 pounds. It came with a meat grinder and a sausagestuffing tube, so now I want to stuff sausages.

So my questions:

The best book on sausage making is?

The best youtube video made by someone that actually knows what they are doing?

How do I know what size of casings I need? I just want natural ones.

Where can one find more add ons for this antique Kenwood?

How often should I give the machine service? Is that something I can do by myself?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
Re: Stuffing sausages among other things
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 12:26:11 pm »
lucky you! I have no idea of the answers to your questions but I'm tempted to go to an auction in case such a thing popped up here...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 12:32:34 pm »
It's well worth a look at the Weschenfelder website: https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/ I think most of your questions will be answered there and they are very helpful.  They sell casings and flavourings, as well as equipment.  Be prepared for great merriment during the stuffing procedure  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:07:14 pm »
lucky you! I have no idea of the answers to your questions but I'm tempted to go to an auction in case such a thing popped up here...

Auctions, garage sales, flea markets, perfect spots to find useful things. People of today tend to throw away old sewing machines, kitchen appliances etc as they think "new is better", not knowing it's the other way around.

I bought a new sewing machine that could do embroidery some years ago, it cost something like 1600 pounds (I sew a lot), after 6 months with that horrible thing I gave it away. My Husqvarna model 12 (around 1930, it's their first electrical one) still sew in leather like it's soft as butter.

It's well worth a look at the Weschenfelder website: https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/ I think most of your questions will be answered there and they are very helpful.  They sell casings and flavourings, as well as equipment.  Be prepared for great merriment during the stuffing procedure  :innocent:

I need to know the size of casing before I order, because of the postage, I want to buy casings and the book from the same place. Also less packages for the swedish postal service to misplace.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 11:17:12 pm »
The weschenfelder site has several sizes of casing  from sheep pigs and cows

Dick strawbridge  has a good meat processing book though there is a much better sausage one

" The Sausage Book by Paul Peacock......  ISBN code 978-1-904871--44-6
I got my second hand one off Amazon for £4 ( ish)  rrp is £ 12.99

Just read the front cover … Published in association with Weschenfelder .. so look on their website first ?

Do take on board about mincing twice and using iced water when mixing .. I found that standing the iced mix in the fridge over nght made it a bit of hard work  so next time I  made the sausages on the same day as I made the sausage mince up.

Allow a three or four hours minimum to mince the meats and make the sausages . Always  fry / grill a little patty of the minced meat you'll be filling the sausage casings with  to see if it is the taste you want..

There's  nothing worse than having eight Kg of awful too salty asting sausages  :roflanim:

Same goes if you want to experiment.
  Now I 'll only only make a small up scale-able batch of 400 or 500 grm.  ..Beef , pork, lavender & Russian sage taste absolutely evil to us ………  :roflanim:
 I made four Kg... Whoops.  The dog ate them cooked & cold over several months

Weschenfelder gold sausage mix .. we found it far too salty to use in the suggested amount, but not herby enough if we made them to taste less salty .

Weschenfelder  usually enclose a sausage making leaflet  but it's wise to ask for one ask when you place an order .

They sent me an email PDF copy of some of their recipes .

I too have an old A701 Kenwood made about 1967 if you google Kenwood spares there are still things like the K beater bar , th dough hook and stainless mixing bowls available .  On their spares website they show a sheet of models and suitable fittings still available.
 I got my sausage meat mincer and filling tubes off ebay but people know that there is amarket for them so be prepared to pay throughth nose for any .  Some are seriously worn out others are in pristine conditions so get a careful look at eh pictures or ask for some that show the points of attachment etc. mine eventually died when the metal casing around the rear of the feed screw spit .
I end up with a £26 cheap sausage making(Italian ) machine that can also handle pasta from Aldi , it has a reverse button as well.  It's now had about 60 kg of sausages & 10 kg of pasta put through it over four years or so
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:42:51 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS