Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not a Sheep / Pig / Chicken Course  (Read 3999 times)

Not a Sheep / Pig / Chicken Course
« on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:32 pm »
Hi,

Across the forums (this and others) there are an increasing number of courses being set up (I presume at a cost) to give an introduction to the subject species, and I applaud this sharing of experiance and information.

I have never spoken to anyone who has been on such a course and so would love the views of their merits from any that have and to know if they thought it value for money.

I personally have no intention of running any courses, but if anyone is passing through south Lincolnshire and would like some (Free) hands on with Saddlebacks, Sheep, or chickens/ducks/guinea-fowl then feel free to let us know and we would ne happy to show you round and let you pick what is left of our brains.

Im sure others on the forum would like to offer the same?

Maybe this would be the first step to meeting a species before deciding to pay out for a possibly more in-depth course.

Comments ?
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Not a Sheep / Pig / Chicken Course
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:53:26 am »
Anyone in, or coming, to Devon is welcome here  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:19 am »
I think that's a great idea. I would certainly like to know more about pig keeping AND still like to see how people keep chooks even though I have them myself.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:20:38 am »
I run courses on chicken keeping for beginners - and I have a lot of families come on my courses as there's nothing else around where kids can come and learn too.

Yes I do charge, but I spend two hours with each family or small group of 4 individuals, letting them handle the birds, giving them some basic knowledge and advice that I wish i'd had before I started with chickens! There is so much info out there it can be a bit overwhelming at times, so my 'try before you buy' courses actually let people have a really good hands on session before deciding if chicken keeping is for them!

I think my costs are extremely reasonable and I give an information pack for them to take home, plus home made cake & tea!

I can also recommend the River Cottage chicken keeping day which also includes how to dress a bird for the table. (That's not on my course!)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 08:29:40 am »
I think its a great idea.  We do get a lot of prospective pig people coming to look at ours, they often spend a whole morning or afternoon just asking questions.  Some buy from us, some go elsewhere either preferring a different breed or just cheaper, and some are put off by the level of care needed.  Its always an enjoyable experience for us and hopefully for them.   I dont know of any available courses here.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:38:34 am »
I would have loved somewhere to go and learn about goats hands on (did try and local sanctuary as a volunteer but never had my offer taken up upon)
I would have happily paid to go on one of Sharon's family courses too as they look fab!!

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:16 am »
I have often wondered about running courses myself- for dairy goats as opposed to anything else. The thing that always puts me off is that no matter how much I know, I don't like the thought that I might be telling people what to do. That said, we have always offered an open door to new goatkeepers if they want to come and view, because how else are we to get people interested in keeping them?

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 10:45:40 am »
I seem to already offer informal crash courses in looking after / how to house livestock, especially poultry!
only because we're the the ones that that have them... and love to share  ;)
Little Blue

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 10:46:53 am »
I think thats a very good idea, I am in the Scottish Borders near Eyemouth and I have Oxford Sandy and blacks, Hens, Turkeys, Ducks and Shetland Sheep so if anyone wants to visit they are welcome. The Sheep are actually about 4 miles away at the moment as I am giving my fields a rest from sheep for a few months.
Anne

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 11:37:30 am »
I was thinking of going on a course for keeping different animals, mainly pigs. I have approached & actually visited a lot of people who have animals. From a commercial pig farmer to a guy not too far from me who has one pig a year to feed him & his family. All these people have something different to tell you & all the information has helped me no end. So when I do get my pigs, (which will be the beginning of next year) I should be able to manage. Anyone going into keeping animals who like me, has no experience, should talk to & even visit as many people as they can. Most are very glad to help you. Sadly there has been someone who was a real arse & was very abusive when I approached him. But there's always one.
Some of these people are members on here & I want to thank you. You know who you are  :) :) :)   
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 11:40:00 am »
I would have loved somewhere to go and learn about goats hands on (did try and local sanctuary as a volunteer but never had my offer taken up upon)
I would have happily paid to go on one of Sharon's family courses too as they look fab!!

Thanks Lisa  :-*

There is a goat keeping course at the Holme Lacy campus of Hereford college - £69 for 2 saturdays. I went to the campus open day and it's very 'hands-on' and practical. I agree about talking to as many people as possible though - look at all the different remedies for red mite we got on one thread!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 12:31:07 pm »
Maybe this needs a new pinned thread?

Then post something like: Pigs/Chickens Cows - Come and see (Devon) etc or wherever you are or what people can see

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 07:49:16 pm »
Well anyone in Brittany, or passing through is always welcome  ....  I make a great cup of tea!!!

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 11:10:16 pm »
We are getting our first sheep next week and the people we are buying them from have been fantastic. Although we live on a commercial sheep farm in Wales and have had loads of advice, we are buying more primitive rare breed sheep (much to the amusement of the local farmers). We went to see the lambs at the start of the summer expecting to spend half an hour there tops. In the end we spent four hours learning all kinds of stuff including things specific to the breed. The breeders were brilliant and couldn't have been more helpful. They invited us back through the summer to learn how to handle the sheep and do routine tasks with them. For us this has been far better than a one day course and in the future we hope to be able to do the same thing for anyone preparing to buy their first sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS