Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hanging baskets.  (Read 2528 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Hanging baskets.
« on: July 22, 2018, 04:36:49 pm »
This was a trial this year to see if it would work. I have hung baskets in the pollytunnel and planted with lettuce. 3 in all and so far a great success. They grow very quickly and I just keep planting more seeds when one basket has all been picked. lettuce is slug free and clean. Do need to water twice a day with the heat but it saves so much work in weeding.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Hanging baskets.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:09:11 pm »
We grew strawberries in plastic pipe with holes cut in. Same result clean fruit. Not much of it made it out of the poly tunnel however

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »
Excellent idea - I hadn't thought of lettuce in hanging baskets, but no slugs sounds perfect.  I didn't have much success with mini tomatoes in hanging baskets years ago, mainly because I couldn't keep them well enough watered or fed.  lettuce should be so much easier.  Thanks for sharing  :) :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:52:54 am »
 Another slug free way of growing slightly more in the poly tunnel….

Make a sloping back wards A framed  rack out of wood fit on the proper gutter brackets &  four 2 mtr lengths of 4 inch half moon guttering on either side , each a foot higher than the other  ( bottom one is also a foot off the floor ). Put a stopped end on each end of the gutters
 Cut some batts of rock mineral wool insulation with a sharp carving knife into four inch width strips so it sits well in the gutters ( angle the cuts to make a sort of chamfer rather than a right angled cut ) .  Lay them in the gutters . Fill the gutter with a well diluted tomato feed..... put your plants in .

You can grow all manner of  crops  this way  in or outside the poly tunnel such as radish , celery , cress coriander, parsley, other herbs , cabbages , peas & various flowers .

Because the walls of plants are not vertical but on the slope the plants don't interfere with each other too much . Strawberries are great grown as a wall of them if grown this way

Best of all …. you'll only need to top up the gutters ever other day or so with a new clean mix . Plus you don't get strawberry saw fly attacking the roots like happens when you use a soil based growth medium to grow them in .

Come winter when they stop producing & day light is short  slow down with the watering , give them  just enough water  to keep them alive 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:57:54 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:26 am »
great ideas! thanks for sharing!

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 05:51:18 pm »
Clodhopper do you have a photo of your set up?
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 07:31:10 pm »
Excellent idea - I hadn't thought of lettuce in hanging baskets, but no slugs sounds perfect.  I didn't have much success with mini tomatoes in hanging baskets years ago, mainly because I couldn't keep them well enough watered or fed.  lettuce should be so much easier.  Thanks for sharing  :) :garden:
I did try cherry tomatoes last year ad they worked fine.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 10:11:50 pm »
I did try cherry tomatoes last year ad they worked fine.

There is a variety of tomato called Tumbling Tom (I believe) that is intended for growing in hanging baskets.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:31:50 am »
There's a heap of links re vertical gardening as easily as in 2L plastic drinks bottles. A family friend with a tiny garden towered them up 4-6 high with a top one as water reservoir because she worked away - grew all manner of stuff.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vertical+planting+in+pop+bottles&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC8LG3qLfcAhXICsAKHUA3BvMQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=938#imgrc=_

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 01:14:46 pm »
Clodhopper do you have a photo of your set up?

Sorry no,  13 years ago I down sized from just under two acres to a fully landscaped 90 x 25 mtr plot with bungalow, 230 sq feet of 900 mm x 900 x 900 in groups of six -- high brick built raised beds,  garage  glasshouse & separate log cabin office . Had to leave them and the poly tunnel behind as part of the sale … I never thought to take pictures of them .

Check this out …
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=growing+strawberries+in+guttering

Have a look in the images for the uses of guttering  . It's worth reading the down side of things as well in the first article on the page

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:27:05 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 11:57:18 pm »
I went to visit someone on here whose name is Ben (haven't seem anything of him for ages) who showed me round his smallholding. To prevent slug damage, he grows strawberries in hessian bags fitted to the top of wooden railings and it seems to work. I have had two troughs attached to the side of my house and can comfortably get six strawberry plants in each. My biggest problem was with earwigs although the slugs got in them as well. They haven't fruited this year so next year will be the test - do slugs and earwigs climb brick walls?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »
Slugs and snails certainly climb brick walls...I;ve seen them all the way to the chimney to hide in shadow. Your only solution is either an overhang or hanging the troughs

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:37:14 pm »
I went to visit someone on here whose name is Ben (haven't seem anything of him for ages) who showed me round his smallholding. To prevent slug damage, he grows strawberries in hessian bags fitted to the top of wooden railings and it seems to work. I have had two troughs attached to the side of my house and can comfortably get six strawberry plants in each. My biggest problem was with earwigs although the slugs got in them as well. They haven't fruited this year so next year will be the test - do slugs and earwigs climb brick walls?

Earwigs fly too .

Slug eggs can be deposited on the straw long before you get it in the sacks if the straw has sat on the ground when it's been damp .
 I though I'd solved the hanging basked slug problem by only using new " Verve "compost straight out the bag using a sterilized aluminium scoop and nothing else .
 It took several month for the slugs to show themselves .
It took me a while to realise some slugs had been across the bags when it was rainy /damp leaving the odd egged in the breathing holes that had been punched in the wall of the compost bags prior to filing as the bags laid in my garsen waiting for me to  sort out our 12  hanging baskets .
 I had to use a big magnifying glass to prove my theory , it wasn't long before I found microscopic traces of slug trail linking most of the holes together .. they must have been seeking somewhere moist to squeeze into to hide away as daylight came.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS