Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My daughter's pumpkin  (Read 4163 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
My daughter's pumpkin
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »
LIttle India (aged 5!) has successfully grown some pumpkins. One of which is now larger than a tennis ball and just smaller than a football. A friend said to put it on something to stop it going mushy but can anyone shed any light how to keep this growing because Indi's little face today when she saw it was pure magic! I'd hate to lose it now.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: My daughter's pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:22 pm »
Hi, my little ones are growing loads of weird shaped squashes and things. I'm guessing you would do the same thing for squashes as pumpkins but its our first year doing this so don't know for sure. We had a stack of old slate tiles that we were advised to put under each one to stop it getting in contact with the wet ground and rotting. It's working really well so far. I would guess you can use straw as an alternative though. Its lovely when kids are so excited about growing things. We had a boston squash risotto tonight and my little boy was very proud he'd provided the main ingredient for dinner!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:09 am »
\Thanks for the reply Susie - will look out for some thing similar.  Do you put anything on them like magical liquids to increase growth?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:56 am »
I saw on Gardeners' World that they put straw under them.  If it is going to be huge then they also put a wooden crate base under too so it would be easy to move.  He did remove all other pumpkins from the plant I think so it would concentrate on the one getting massive. :squash:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:34:41 am »
that's a good point - I'll go see if there are any more and will remove them. thanks  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:10 am »
A good liquid feed to the root run would help.  I would soak manure (sheep or horse) in a bucket of water and dilute the run-off a bit before applying it around the roots.  I don't think you could use too much.  You could start using it the same day, but of course it will get stronger, like tea, the longer you soak it. Keep the plants well watered too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:01:07 pm »
 :wave:  We haven't really been adding much to ours but did dig in heaps of manure before planting the squashes out. You are supposed to add feed to them - our neighbour told us to make sure we were consistent with it if we did because otherwise the skin can split with sudden growth spurts. He's 96 and our veg growing guru! Depending on the variety you may also need to protect them from frost with cardboard and straw if you want to leave them growing long enough to get really big. You'll have to post some pictures!  :squash:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:55 pm »
Go for Wizard's goat poo idea!  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:55 pm »
I've managed to prop it onto a plastic shelf thing with drainage holes and tomorrow will go round with my pillow case to fill with goat poo again (and George will be up there laughing at me!!) bless him, he really had the best ideas when it came to animal poo!
will try to get some photo's of India with her prize pumpkin - she's really chuffed that its growing but I think when it goes orange she will be happier!!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »
On gardeners world they used a pallet with straw on as previously mentioned and they also said that they should be watered without getting the leaves wet  ???

Hope that helps.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 07:54:36 am »
Thanks Ian - have found a pallet (Tony's 200 wine bottles arrived on it!)  the leaves are really spiky  :-\  ouch.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:31 am »
Thanks Ian - have found a pallet (Tony's 200 wine bottles arrived on it!)  the leaves are really spiky  :-\  ouch.

Full or empty bottles Lisa? If full, when's the party? ;D ;D ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 09:14:06 am »
arrived empty - now full (of plum wine!!) must arrange party soon...!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS