Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Laminitis in sheep  (Read 7892 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Laminitis in sheep
« on: June 23, 2018, 07:19:17 pm »
Wondered if anyone could tell me a little bit more about this. I've tried googling it but can't find much about it apart from it can be caused by eating a lot of grain. Just wondered what else can cause it and how to treat it. I expect it's similar to horses, keeping the grazing to minimum, but would be grateful if anyone has had any experience of this in sheep and how they dealt with it. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Laminitis in sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:25:20 pm »
Never ever seen it or know of anyone who has , just know it is mentioned in vet books related to feeding  heavy amounts of pellets or cereals . Have you spoken to your vet for diagnosis and treatment ??

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:59:31 am »
Never heard of it. You sure you are not thinking of scauld?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 09:26:24 am »
Thanks for the replies. One of my ewes has been slightly lame on and off for sometime, with no visible cause. She's only lame for a day or so. When she's not lame, as she grazes she's always lifting her legs up, particularly her left one. I thought it could  possibly be arthritis but wanted to know for sure, so got my vet to xray her front legs. He couldn't see any signs of arthritis but as she is owerweight suggested it could be laminitis, therefore restrict her grazing. I've looked on the Internet, there is some  mention of  it but not a great deal, that's  why I wondered if anyone  on the forum had any experience.
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 12:22:29 pm »
You can only try the advice and see what happens ?? You could try asking in goats as they seem a little more susceptible ? Did the x ray cover the shoulder as well ??

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 01:22:45 pm »
No, Shep, the x rays were only of the ankle and knee joints, but he examined her well and found nothing that indicated arthritis in any joint, no 'clicking' etc.Thanks for your interest.
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 02:52:22 pm »
Just wondering what would happen if she was lame and you gave her an injection of painkiller /anti inflammatory ,  my knees don't click  and the x rays only show fluid  and some days fine next day pain

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 07:23:55 pm »
She's actually on a pain killer/anti inflammatory. Thanks Shep.
4 pet sheep

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:28:19 am »
I have not had it in sheep but have had it in a dairy cow many years ago.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »
Hi MR, sorry to go back to the obvious,  but presume you and/or vet have checked for foot rot or hoof wall separating and getting mud/small pieces of stone? Wet weather will have caused a lot of foot problems?
I have had Lammy in my goat, but that was post kidding and due to her getting to the feed bin.
Are feet warm? Does she walk strange (called goose stepping by some), hoof is hard to trim and apparently fast growing.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 02:01:19 pm »
Hi PHB! Thanks for your post. Yes, checked for the obvious things like scald, foot rot,  shelly hoof. Her hooves aren't hot, but they are quite hard to trim. She walks quite normally, not goose stepping. She's now on a very restricted diet of poor grass, so I hope that will help. How did you treat your goat? Thanks
4 pet sheep

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 03:12:17 pm »
Hi PHB! Thanks for your post. Yes, checked for the obvious things like scald, foot rot,  shelly hoof. Her hooves aren't hot, but they are quite hard to trim. She walks quite normally, not goose stepping. She's now on a very restricted diet of poor grass, so I hope that will help. How did you treat your goat? Thanks
She was quite bad, didn't want to stand, feet hot, so Pen & Strep, cut back on concentrates, found veg for her, but it was difficult, slowly built up again. But that was quite acute and there wasn't time to mess about. She was fine this year.
I have one who goes a bit lame now and then, because she gets mud/soil under her hoof wall, which i have to cut away to give it chance to grow out.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 06:07:15 pm »

was this a farm vet or domestic.  Sadly domestic vets have little experience with farm stock and Im sure some of them make it up.  Ive never heard of a vet xray a sheep leg before either.  A good farm vet will know be feeling the leg. 

How old and how was she bred?  If she had joint ill as a lamb then that stays around for life and I would assume some form of arthritis from this.   http://www.netvet.co.uk/sheep/joint-ill.htm

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 03:37:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply Farmers Wife. My vet is a farm vet. I asked for the x rays as she's been susceptible to lameness for sometime and I just wondered if there was something going on that we couldn't see. She's a mule x Charolais and is 8 years old. As a lamb, she didn't have joint ill.
4 pet sheep

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 12:13:40 am »

I cant really locate much on this in sheep - usually Nadis contains everything you need. But I have seen snippits saying sheep get it but cant find anything written.

Having read a little about horses the only thing I can assume is the age of the sheep and the carbohydrate metabolic disfunction (incl breed) and the sheep being overweight for some time due to being overfed ?

[font=]The relationship between insulin and laminitis – horses with a genetic predisposition to EMS (with increased risk if also fat) or with PPID will develop insulin resistance. Horses with insulin resistance that eat high carbohydrate [CHO] diets (e.g. high starch in grain diets or high sugars [non-structural carbohydrates; NSC] in rich pasture or good quality hay diets) develop high insulin [hyperinsulinaemia] which causes laminitis[/color][/font]

[/color]Assuming its a pet and you have hand fed additional carbs then the issue is there and because most sheep are grazing on grass they don't get extra feed. Ive never had sheep this old so cant comment on older sheep as they go off after 5 years. Perhaps because she is older then the chances are higher. Seems pretty reasonable to think this.
In horses they cut their food back but not sure you can do this and unsure whether the damage has already been done.  You don't need to additionally feed sheep. Just grass and hay. You could try this and see how it goes.

[/font]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS