Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: greenleaf capsules - worth trying?  (Read 2698 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
greenleaf capsules - worth trying?
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:24:50 am »
my dog has an allergic reaction to (probably) grass pollen. Someone recommended Dene's greenleaf capsules, which consist of nettle and parsley apparently. Has anyone used these, and if so, did they work? Is it snake oil or a good herbal remedy? Any other recommendations to help relieve the itching he clearly suffers would be very gratefully received...by both of us!  :dog:

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: greenleaf capsules - worth trying?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:24 am »
I've not heard of these. What is it that makes you think the allergy is to grass pollen?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 11:46:41 am »
If any of my dogs showed possible allergic reactions my first step would be to consult my vet and have a range of tests done.  If it is just watery eyes that is very common in all breeds.  Anything more serious should be checked out.  Serum can then be prepared for the specific animal to alleviate symptoms.  By all means try a herbal remedy first as they are pretty innocuous.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 07:18:51 am »
been there; the vet's bill has already run into hundreds. They advised not to bother with more tests, just manage the situation. He's fine in winter, it started up again this May. His skin, esp. paws and lower legs, gets itchy so he bites until he hurts himself. A cone works to stop that, but I'd like to relieve the itch if possible.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 03:56:19 pm »
thanks for the links; the dermagic lotion looks to be in the same sort of camp as the greenleaf - have you used it?
No I'm not sure it's grass pollen, but it's not grass or his food (else the problem would not be seasonal); it's something in the environment, close to his feet probably, active from May this year after dissipating last autumn.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 07:15:30 pm »
I haven't used that particularl lotion because fortunately I've never had a dog with allergies. It's just something else for you to try
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 07:25:16 pm »
Just had a thought - it wouldn't be nettles would it?  That is very common. 

If so -  Wash the area with soap and water as soon as possible to relieve the sting and remove the nettle hairs.  Then apply a paste of baking soda and water.
Try to stop him scratching or rubbing the itchy areas.

Sudacreme might help - or calamine lotion
And you can give dogs piriton

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 10:20:22 pm »
yes I use sudacream on any bare patches, and then the cone goes on to stop him making it worse. I don't think it's nettles - but if it is, greenleaf might make it worse... I'll give piriton a try - thanks again for the info!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 06:51:52 pm »
A tiny bit of local honey once a day MAY help too - you do need to start early in the year though, same as people with hay fever :)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 09:22:28 pm »
when is early? I don't have or know much about hay fever.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:41:12 pm »
been there; the vet's bill has already run into hundreds. They advised not to bother with more tests, just manage the situation. He's fine in winter, it started up again this May. His skin, esp. paws and lower legs, gets itchy so he bites until he hurts himself. A cone works to stop that, but I'd like to relieve the itch if possible.
Try Stinky stuff, it seems to help with skin problems in dogs. I am using it on one of my ponies who rubs his mane and so far helping.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS