Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When should I expect pet lamb to graze and eat creep ?  (Read 2089 times)

Madmandy

• Joined Jul 2017
When should I expect pet lamb to graze and eat creep ?
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:24:58 pm »
Hi, I have a 3 week old lamb. Mum had twins but this one didn't feed at all. He had colostrum from a bottle and he's been having bottles ever since. He's currently living in our she'd with regular trips outside on grass.
He's growing well and has 3 bottles a day.
He doesn't seem interested in eating grass but he does kind of mouth everything. I've offered him creep which he's interested in but although he does take it into his mouth he spits it out again lol.
When should I expect him to start eating ? Is there anything I should be doing to encourage him ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: When should I expect pet lamb to graze and eat creep ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:58:21 am »
Try him with some nice fresh hay in his pen, give him just a little, fresh, twice a day. 

Really they need to start experimenting with forage within the first seven days to stimulate rumen development.  Hopefully he has ingested little bits :fc:

I find they are often not interested in creep until about three weeks.  They seem to like a mix - with flakes and so on, different textures and tastes - better than a pellet   I usually give them Champion Tup & Lamb, I don’t bother with an actual creep feed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:18:15 am »
Does he have any other lambs for company? If not, I'd put him out in a smallish field with other sheep/lambs during the day and continue to feed him out in the field. I think a lot of the time they copy the older sheep/lambs behaviour. Just keep an eye on him.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:09:44 am »
I have noticed that my lambs will start eating from molehills at around 1 week. My soil is heavy clay and I assume they are linning their guts. It might look like they have got the wrong idea but letting them explore their environment will help them get rready for making the transition
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 12:33:06 am »
Hi Mandy
How much is he getting per feed?
Is there any chance of him spending days with his mum and twin?
Maybe lambs come on quicker than goats but at 3 weeks I'd still have them on 4 feeds a day, but less per feed, in fact I've some kids 9 wks old that still get 4 feeds a day,
My sheep like rosebay willowherb, maybe try him with some stems of that? Hung upside down in his pen?

Madmandy

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 05:58:21 am »
We don't have anywhere we can put him safely with his mum and twin and we can't leave him with the rest because we aren't able to be there to keep an eye on him.
We are going to take home down to them tomorrow so he can have a bit of a look.
He's currently on 3 feeds a day 350mls each time, he doesn't quite drink it all.
He's been out on the lawn every day for a bit of experimenting, he's been pulling up weeds and I think yesterday he did actually eat a few blades. He loves to nibble at mud lol
He has a whole bale of hay that we know he's been throwing around redesigning his house lol, so hopefully he's eaten some of that too
Thank you so much for helping

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 10:33:43 am »
If at all possible I would get back up to 4 feeds a day, 250ml each. if you are feeding lamlac 4 feeds is the suggested rate at 3 weeks.
Could be his tum is too full and he is uncomfortable .
My goat kids are on 4 x 200ml.
Local merchant does a finer milled general purpose feed, all my youngsters prefer that to pellets.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS