Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: private land/smallholding/community  (Read 4253 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: private land/smallholding/community
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 11:43:35 pm »
Were you staff, by any chance, Rupert?  I have a ‘silver number’ (3 pairs of digits); ‘gold’s were reserved for the best customers ;)   I’ll not part with the number and haven’t this far left Vodafone as a provider - but your loyalty predates mine by 15 years! :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 05:56:15 am »
Were you staff, by any chance, Rupert?  I have a ‘silver number’ (3 pairs of digits); ‘gold’s were reserved for the best customers ;)   I’ll not part with the number and haven’t this far left Vodafone as a provider - but your loyalty predates mine by 15 years! :)

Not staff, my employer at the time wanted a car phone , so we went round to the office in Bracknell  to get the credit card sized sim card, while we were there I got one too, monthly contract, I think calls were over a pound a unit. on the upside I got to lug the bosses car battery with a hand set about !

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 11:43:10 pm »
I totally get where you are coming from.  For the last ten years I have been fending off social workers (when I worked in children's social care) with 'problem' clients who would greatly benefit from experiencing the great outdoors.  I have had 'friends' who just want a baby sitter for the weekend.  Now I am involved with a homeless charity, I have drug addicts, ex cons and men with serious mental health problems wanting to come and 'help'.  They have got to be kidding right?  As most of you agree, our little bit of land and the animals on it, are part of our homes.  We don't actually want them there, like we rarely, if ever, get invited to their homes.

I did the insurance get out, that put off the council, then to put others off I told them I would charge them £10 per hour per child, with a minimum time of ten hours  ;D .  That got rid of the hopes of most of the others.  However, re the guys from the charity, I had to be a lot firmer.  I told them in no circumstances would I allow the risk of them stealing from me to fund their various addictions, strangely this group took the refusal best.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 09:20:51 pm »
[member=3444]bazzais[/member] - ref your 15 Jun post: 
Besides having a coastal path running thro' your farm, you have already diversified and are obviously now suffering the consequence of hosting campers who can see what your other activities are.
Clearly you are not inclined to turn your biz into a petting zoo et al and, also, wish to retain your privacy:  what a conundrum! 
Further to Yorkshirelass' post: other than turning the camp-site into an enclave (with access separated from farm access so that campers don't/can't get to see what else you are doing) seems to me that you are stuffed - I offer that thought sympathetically, but realistically.  The alternative would be "Private" or "Keep Out" signs:  the latter would obviously not come across well to paying campers. !!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:49:19 pm by arobwk »

gilesm

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »
One approach can be to do periodic open days (even Open Farm Sunday).  That way you can swiftly and firmly say "no, can't let you in today, but do come and see everything on date X".

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS