Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very Interesting Ear Tags subject  (Read 3634 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Very Interesting Ear Tags subject
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:11:59 am »
When I purchase my new small flock of 10-15 ewes and a ram next month fully tagged, after my store lambs have gone to the freezer, would I be correct in saying that when i get my new flock number and ear tags i only start using them on the lambs of my new flock next year?

And a second question as ive trawled the internet and it does get confusing with Defra, who do I actually contact to apply for a new flock number? defra or another agency? and how long does it take? I dont actually need it before my new flock arrives?

all responces appreciated

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Very Interesting Ear Tags subject
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:38:52 am »

If you have a flock number you do not need another one, and yes you are correct it is only the lambs that you breed that you need to tag.
Anne

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:49:37 am »
Thanks for your reply sue

I am buying a 10 ewes and a ram from ashford area,Im am based in ightham sevenoaks area, they will be moved to me with a movement licence and we have a holding number but we dont have our own flock number, so I think we need our own flock number for the new lambs next year and for there own ear tags? I dont think we take on the flock number from where they come from? as I think it will stay with them?

very grateful as this is a learning curve

cheers

andy

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:53:31 am »

Hi Andy sorry I assumed that as you had store lambs you had a flock number.
Anne

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »
hi sue

no first year with just store lambs this year and loving it, cant wait to get my flock, keeping it very small to start with, im kind of going back to my roots a little, i have a flooring company now but I was a herdsman for 10 years when I left school, some 30 years ago, I have a collie so it is giving hime something to do everyday and to supply friends and family with nice quality meat is satisfying. but i am having to get up to speed with latest regualtions and im not finding it straight forward, im hoping im not apppearing to thick  :farmer:, its giving me a real boost and new interests ect.

so I just need to apply for my flock number to go with my holding number so anyone who can give me some straight advice would be great as defra phone line gets very taxing  :sheep:

all advice appreciated as learning curve in process,

cheers

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:43:48 pm »
Hi Andy
It's different up here in Scotland, but I seem to recall dimly from my days organising my brothers flock in Norfolk that it's your local Animal Health dept which gives you your flock number - but if you phone them and it's wrong, they will put you in contact with the correct agency (possibly Trading Standards).  They are there to help you get set up, so just ask.
Once you have your own lambs and their ears are big enough to take the tags, you order up what you need.  You are allocated numbers starting from 00001 and you use these consecutively.  Your CPH number and flock number will be kept on the records of the tag company so when you phone in subsequent years they will know which number you have got to.  Choosing which tags and supplier to use is another matter.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:15:48 pm »
Thanks for your reply sue

I am buying a 10 ewes and a ram from ashford area,Im am based in ightham sevenoaks area, they will be moved to me with a movement licence and we have a holding number but we dont have our own flock number, so I think we need our own flock number for the new lambs next year and for there own ear tags? I dont think we take on the flock number from where they come from? as I think it will stay with them?

very grateful as this is a learning curve

cheers

andy

andy you have sheep you should have a flock number. how are you going to get them slaughted without one.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »
you need to contact your "local" animal health office - there's a list on DEFRA website, but they may not seem very local to you & can change :)
tell them what you're planning/doing, and they should send you the flock number in writing, for your holding (CPH)

... it' s not as complicated as it first appears - honest!
Little Blue

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 10:44:39 pm »
When we applied for our CPH number we weren't sure what we were going to have animal-wise so we put down everything and got herd numbers for pigs, sheep and cows.

We applied to our local animal health office in Wales

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:01:01 pm »
When we applied for our CPH number we weren't sure what we were going to have animal-wise so we put down everything and got herd numbers for pigs, sheep and cows.

... so did we, for goats and pigs!
Little Blue

waterhouse

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:22 am »
I got my flock number (and it is the "local" Animal Health office, 2 counties away) over the phone.  The helpful lady only needed the CPH number - which as I didn't have it to hand she looked up.   But CPH numbers are altogether a different problem. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS