NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Poorly goat  (Read 1465 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Poorly goat
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 01:04:19 pm »
PHB, I've only just seen this. I was giving them apple chaff until they both decided they didn't like it. Is alfalfa different? I'll get some if it's likely to help.

She looks happier although she still in incredibly thin. She's been a bit off her food while it's been so hot but still eating a good bucket of fruit and veg from my friendly local shopkeeper and most of her concentrates. I'm also adding molasses to try to give her some more energy and yesterday I saw the two of them play fighting through the hurdles, which cheered me up.Her eye is almost back to normal although still looks a bit puffy. It'll probably look better once she has hair round it again.

My only worry with her now is that she is getting bald patches on her body although still has most of her winter coat. The patches are covered in what looks to me like cradle cap for anyone who has had babies. It scrapes off very easily. I was looking at it today and the hair comes out with very little pulling so it seems to be off at the roots. Any ideas?

Hi MGM, It would be easier for you to Google 'chopped alfalfa than me try to explain ?
Good to hear she's feeling better,
She has been quite ill, so not surprised it's affecting her coat, I'd second minerals apart from maybe a wash with a suitable shampoo I can't think what else to suggest.
Maybe watch out for sunburn as well? Esp. The bald/thin areas will be susceptible?
Voss Electric Fence

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 04:00:37 pm »
Apple chaff is molassed straw with apple pieces through it - mine weren't keen on it when I tried it.  They do like chopped oat straw, chopped grass and chopped alfalfa (lucerne) though.  Alfalfa is higher in protein and good for putting weight on and keeping condition up while they're growing/in milk.  If they're fussy then the Thunderbrooks Healthy Herbal Chaff is always popular with mine.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 04:28:27 pm »
Thanks, everyone, you've reassured me. I did wonder if it was stress related and that seems more likely. A friend came and looked at her today. She (the friend) used to keep goats but many years ago. Her opinion was that after all Pom had been through lately, it seemed likely to be stress-related. She was puzzled by the 'cradle cap' but we can't find any mites on her and, being white, they should show up. She's going to hate me but I'm going to get some dandruff shampoo for her and some alfalfa, and also reorder some Caprivite. They ran out a few weeks ago and I haven't got round to ordering any more.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:13 pm »
AS I recall you have wormed her with pour on wormer, so that would have got rid of any mites. However, it is possible she had some which have been killed off and the bare patches are where the mites had damaged the hair follicles. In some animals you find that pour on wormer causes dandruff, and that could be the "cradle cap" that you are now seeing.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:36 pm »
AS I recall you have wormed her with pour on wormer, so that would have got rid of any mites. However, it is possible she had some which have been killed off and the bare patches are where the mites had damaged the hair follicles. In some animals you find that pour on wormer causes dandruff, and that could be the "cradle cap" that you are now seeing.

That makes sense. I did wonder if it was dandruff but it's very greasy. It doesn't seem to bother her.

For good measure. she's now started limping. She had her hooves trimmed today after quite a long gap, mainly due to not wanting to make her stand on three legs when she was pretty run down. He knee is warm to the touch. It's possible that it was wrenched a bit during the trimming, I suppose. I'll keep an eye on it. She had a spell of limping a few months back and the other one had scald so I called the vet out and he gave me terramycin and a big bill. He did say that if she continued to limp that he could let me have some painkillers but they were very expensive although 1 bottle would last a very long time. I'll try putting a compress on it tomorrow.

I've got to the stage where I'm wondering what next (while sorting out the bill for the other week).

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 11:54:50 pm »
 :hug:
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 10:53:47 pm »
At last I can feel signs of increased weight in that Pom's spine is not so knobbly. I've increased her feed until she is almost at a level that she was on when she was producing milk. She won't east more than that but it's working. I was beginning to think I would be calling the vet as he said he wanted to see her again if she hadn't gained weight by autumn.

She still has the bald patches which look worse because she never did lose her winter coat. I guess she needed it for warmth with so little flesh. I'm going to bathe her with dandruff shampoo again when we have a warm day. I thought it would be very difficult but I think she enjoyed it - even being hosed down to rinse her.

Thanks for all the support. So glad I'm on TAS and have all you lovely goat-keeping TASers.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 12:25:30 am »
Great news, I'm so pleased for you!

As for bathing... I was doing mine for a show a couple of months ago using an old bath out in the shed (warm water too).  Most of mine had to be physically restrained whilst they were being washed so as to prevent them doing a vertical take off over my shoulder.  Unfortunately with one lad, I'd left the shampoo out of reach and had to let go of him to go get it.  As I did, there was a commotion next door so I went to sort that out knowing I'd have to catch him to put him back in anyway... Returning 5 minutes later, I was amused/gobsmacked/pleased to see him still sitting in the bath where I'd left him, eyes shut blissfully enjoying his "spa day"...  who says it's the girls that luxuriate in their bubble baths!?!  I think he was the only one that didn't turn the event into a wet tee shirt contest (I won every time)!

Despite putting up a fuss about the bath, I think all of mine felt better for it as they all seemed "bouncier" the following couple of days.

Here's to you and Pom and many more happy days together!

Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 10:32:50 pm »
Thanks, SD. I'd drink to that if there was anything left.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 02:14:25 pm »
Great news all that care and attention ended well

poorly goat...

Started by little blue

Replies: 34
Views: 7283
Last post April 10, 2010, 05:26:38 pm
by little blue
Poorly goat

Started by Roxy

Replies: 16
Views: 3236
Last post May 11, 2010, 08:58:32 am
by jameslindsay
Poorly goat

Started by cuckoo

Replies: 4
Views: 1276
Last post December 06, 2011, 07:53:57 pm
by little blue
GOAT very poorly

Started by maddy

Replies: 12
Views: 1044
Last post April 09, 2017, 11:54:14 am
by Polyanya
Poorly goat

Started by Flump74

Replies: 4
Views: 214
Last post May 20, 2018, 11:17:08 pm
by angie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Assist Animal Care Services Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2018. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS