Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preventing Fly Strike  (Read 2249 times)

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
Preventing Fly Strike
« on: May 19, 2018, 07:46:18 pm »
HiDo other keepers use any measures to prevent fly-strike such as Clik/Crovect?I moniter mine closely and did not use anything on them last year but I would just like to get other opinions.
I clik the sheep once only each year and keep them tidy at the back end....
Thanks
Colin

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Preventing Fly Strike
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:50:14 pm »
I like Crovect and I usually apply a couple of times over the summer, usually when I worm the lambs. I prefer it to the other pour on's because it has such a short withdrawal. If your lambs are ready and your short of grazing its a real pain having to wait an extra couple of weeks for withdrawal.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »
Are we talking sheep or goats?
Are they Angora goats?

Never use anything like that on my goats, they come into pens at night so hopefully I would see anything (boers and Toggs)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 11:40:46 pm »
Hi Colin  :wave:

We use Crovect on our sheep as it's the mildest stuff that actually works.  Your question made me wonder though whether using a pour-on / spray-on liquid would be a problem with your milking goats, in case it contaminated the udders and thus the milk?

JJ x
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:24:51 am »
Hi
I am talking goats (which is why I posted in goat forum...) and they are GG.
I did not use anything last year as they are brought in of an evening and checked.  I was just trying to get other goat owners perspective given that there are so few products actually licenced for goats.

FW..hello!  I had not thought about any milk implications but another thing to think about.
I will continue to do as I have done as far

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:43:27 am »
Ah - I think a lot of us click the 'unread posts' button so where you posted doesn't really register. I was taking about sheep. I'm certain that all of the sheep pour on's are not licenced for goats. I've kept goats for years and have never experienced fly strike and spraying them just wouldn't occur to me?

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:58:21 am »
thanks. bj_cardiff

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »
Hi
I am talking goats (which is why I posted in goat forum...) and they are GG.
It is an unusual question for goats, and after other response I just wondered if you had got in wrong section by mistake.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »
It is an unusual question for goats, and after other response I just wondered if you had got in wrong section by mistake.no,  as I said it was a goat question, and to repeat ,it was just to test the water to see if anyone uses preventative measures apart from closely monitoring their herds.Scarlet Dragon,  thank you for your reply.  I like the idea of my girls smelling of lavender!!I understand that it is rare in goats to get strike.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 06:23:47 pm »
I have never had to apply flystrike stuff for goats, not an issue for them. Would be very poor management to have a goat with a mucky backend outside...

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 06:39:45 pm »
Thanks Anke,  my girls never have dirty bottoms!...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 12:58:30 pm »
Even with the angoras I've only had one with maggots in a bad foot shortly after they first arrived 6 years ago, never any in their fleece and they don't get sheared till August so don't think it's a big problem with goats and as you say much easier to keep a check on goats than sheep,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS