Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac  (Read 2149 times)

Advertisement

LLASH

• Joined Jun 2017
Heptavac
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:46:20 pm »
Hi
I have acquired some ewes of various ages which have never been on the heptavac system.

When is the best time to give them their first initial dose?

They have lambs at foot currently

Shall I do it now at this time of year, which gives me almost a year until I need to give them their booster 6 weeks before lambing ? (next year’s lambing)

Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Heptavac
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:31:54 pm »
I would do the ewes and lambs altogether now and then again in 4-6wks  and then as you say ready for annual booster next year .As the lambs have had no protection you can do them at any age even just after birth

Shire1980

• Joined May 2018
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:02 pm »
I use Heptavac P plus and last year i lost a few ewe's in october the vet said that the pasturella part of the vaccination only lasts 6 months is this right?
I gave them a dose in december before lambing so this year i'll do it again in July just to be safe.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:39:07 am »
Never heard of that. Could be that the strain of pneumonia wasn’t covered by the heptavac, rather than immunity dwindling. I would have thought if any part of the vaccine stopped working after 6 mths it would be a 6 monthly booster rather than annual.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:32 pm »
From the DATA sheet ( On farms where the incidence of pasteurellosis is high, a supplementary injection using a pasteurella vaccine may be required 2-3wks prior to expected seasonal outbreak ) I give my rams a booster in the autumn

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 08:45:09 am »

If you have a small flock with plenty of space and little stress you don't need to be vaccinating.  There is still dodgy evidence its of any help.  Its expensive to run the system and its wasteful on small flocks.  Commercial farmers are split in on this some do some don't but those that do still have issues and can lose lambs/ewes.

We've only come across Pasteurella in pet lambs, saying that it can be high in some parts of the country. You can just use Ovipast for Pasteurella but over 30 quid a bottle and 10hr shelf life makes it pretty tasty when doing the second jab.

Lambs only need Ovivac however it only comes in 100ml and Heptivac comes in 50ml.  Therefore its more value to use Heptivac throughout the flock.

Its entirely up to you but don't stress over it.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:54:29 am »

If you have a small flock with plenty of space and little stress you don't need to be vaccinating.
Two 50ml bottles of Heptavac cost £50. That's less than the value of one lamb.
I've had a lamb that had a stress free life with plenty of space just drop dead one day at 11 weeks old, so I know which option I'd choose.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:34:10 pm »
Long before heptavac Pulpy kidney was a consistent killer of strong lambs , been a long time since iv'e seen one .  In the 90's I ran  a large organic flock and the organic system made me slowly stop using heptavac  , 2 years into no vaccine and I had a major problem with lamb dysentry

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS