Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bidding at auction  (Read 2384 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Bidding at auction
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:52:30 am »
Heading back up from Yorkshire a day early so I can go to Thainstone tomorrow. On the look out for a potential tup for our meat flock but won't rule out adding ewes/lambs if prices are ok.

Never bidded at auction before, so looking for some pointers.

Am I right in thinking it's always price per life? So for example if a ewe with two lambs, bid 50 quid and it's £150 plus costs? Don't want to look like the total greenhorn that I am! ????

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Bidding at auction
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:30:52 am »
Hiya, I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago, so you might find this thread helpful!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:38:05 am »
Listen carefully to the auctioneer announcements when the sheep are brought in. He will state per life or per family.

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:35:13 am »
thainstone is always price per life for sheep.  and the rare breeds sale is normally in guineas  £1.05

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »
Spend time listening to the auctioneer ,so that you understand his accent and note how big the price jumps are ,or you may think you've put your hand up for a ten pound bid and it might be fifty pounds

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 12:54:16 pm »
so that you understand his accent

HeresasheepwhatamIbid,amIbidtenpounds,twentypounds,thirtypoundsnoideamumblemumble,
seeyounod,nodagain,mumblemumble,noidea,keeponnodding......

Bang!

And the sheep is yours!   Now you just have to go to the office to find out what you paid for it!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:13:27 pm »
This is my big fear!! My hubby has trouble with his hearing so I'm in charge ????

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 09:05:11 am »
so that you understand his accent

HeresasheepwhatamIbid,amIbidtenpounds,twentypounds,thirtypoundsnoideamumblemumble,
seeyounod,nodagain,mumblemumble,noidea,keeponnodding......

Bang!

And the sheep is yours!   Now you just have to go to the office to find out what you paid for it!  :roflanim:

Easy. Try the markets where they swap between Welsh and English!

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 05:11:27 pm »
Soooo, no tup, but 8 ewes! So all in all a successful day ????

Quick question if anyone can help me.. got a printed moving document from the mart rather than the usual filling in of forms when I have bought private. I know they upload the details to the scoteid database, but do I need to fill in a movement license and send a copy of this form to SAMU?

Thanks

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 07:47:28 pm »
YES & NO  you don't fill in a movement license you just email / fax the form you got from the mart to SAMU it should have all the ear tag numbers and your holding number ,the marts holding number  . Scoteid & samu are totally different things at the moment !!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS