Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feral cat - advice needed  (Read 18958 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Feral cat - advice needed
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 01:21:11 pm »
Womble there is a gap in the market that you could fill supplying these cats.

After our cat disappeared in suspicious circumstances we searched hard for the most savage feline beast we could find that would be willing to go nose to nose with the rats.  Eventually the cat rescue place supplied a cat that had torn up its previous owners house and spat at anyone who went near it.  My wife had to hide our young child when she went to collect it as they thought it too risky to let the cat go to a home with children. 
Said "monster" now lives peacefully in our shed, enjoys human company and thinks he is achieving something useful when he takes an already dead mouse out of a mousetrap.  He wouldn't say boo to a teddy bear never mind a rat.

If you start a business "Wombles untameable, rat hunting, cats" then I might be your first customer.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 01:33:42 pm »
Alright Wullie, the next one that turns up here is yours!

If this winter is anything to go by, I'm expecting another delivery in a couple of weeks time!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 08:11:46 pm »
Where are they all coming from?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 08:21:15 pm »
Well [member=26320]doganjo[/member] , our postman says that there's a farm a couple of miles away from here as the crow flies which has at least 30 cats kicking about. My guess is that these boys have been kicked out of the colony, and have been living wild. Then, once the snow and ice took hold, hunger has forced them to seek refuge in our barn.

It's not a great situation, but I reckon we could end up with quite a few in time. The trouble is, the CPL etc won't take on feral cats, and neither will they put down a healthy animal (fair enough). That means that if one decides to move in with you, you're kinda stuck with it!!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 07:44:31 am »
Cpl has their own rules, but I think you can trap and hand over cats to vets or rspca instead.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 10:22:13 am »
Hi Steph Hen, I didn't confess to this originally, but I nearly landed myself in quite a sticky situation here with the SSPCA. When Merlin first turned up, I spoke to the CPL about trapping, and they told me that whilst they were willing to help, they wouldn't be able to do anything for at least a couple of months. So, because we were genuinely worried that he was going to injure our pet cats, and because he was spraying all over our incredibly precious hay supplies, I decided we didn't have that long to wait. I therefore welded up my own trap, which is of course a triumph of both luck and over-engineering.

Once I had him caught, I then decided also to call the SSPCA to see if they might be able to help with veterinary treatment. However, the lady on the phone got really angry at me for having "trapped a wild animal that was peacefully going about its business, and should have been left alone". (I was honestly made to feel that I might have been prosecuted if I had told them who I was!).

Anyway, Merlin update of the day:  Mrs Womble spent over an hour last night hand feeding him pieces of mackerel and encouraging him to come out of his shell by chasing bits of string and peacock feathers. She even managed to give him a little tickle without losing a hand. Frankly I'm amazed, but also really proud of how patient she's been, and pleased that it's starting to pay off  :thumbsup: .

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 11:11:06 am »
Remember this guy?

No, I can't quite believe it either!

Can I have a round of applause for Mrs Womble please? I know she's been working hard with Merlin, but to say I'm stunned is a serious understatement.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 11:27:43 am »
Fantastic  :love:  :bouquet:  :notworthy:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2018, 03:14:27 pm »
Cats will do anything for Dreamies! Well done Mrs Womble! Does he still catch mice in the barns or has he become a total house cat?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:53 pm »
Well done Mrs Womble

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »
It just proves that the way to any man's heart is through his stomach.... he is a stunner though!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 12:20:22 am »
Respect Mrs  (and Mr) W. Beautiful cat

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2018, 09:14:25 am »
Well done   :trophy:  still think he's a great looking cat.

I have very little time for these animal charities.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS