Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to train Ducks?  (Read 3759 times)

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
How to train Ducks?
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:58:00 am »
So much amazing information on here about so many topics that I’m finding I’m reading things for animals I don’t even own (yet)!  ;D

We have recently got 6 new ducklings (6weeks old) and have them in a smallish pen with their own house, small water feature (can’t say pond but as they’re small, I figured smaller would be better for now?) and they appear to be settling well, although still very skittish when anyone approaches them. Eventually I’d love to let them roam the garden along with the chickens, my question is that my research says that they don’t roost so how do you train/persuade a duck that heading back to their pen is a good idea when it’s time to lock them up? Even when the new large pen and pond is built, I still like the idea of them roaming about but maybe this isn’t possible? We do have foxes but our chickens are out most days and seem to be doing ok so I hope it would only be an evening problem.

We have 2 khaki Campbell’s and 4 Utility Ducks, I cant see anywhere that they are prevalent to flying away when older.....do I assume that a happy well fed duck will just stay out of choice or do I need to clip their wings (and wouldn’t this affect their ability to get away from Mr Fox?)?

Any duck experts, all advice welcome? Day 2 of owning Ducks and already we are all huge Fans!

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
Re: How to train Ducks?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:06:44 am »
Sorry one more question, would paddock (long’ish grass), woodland or general grass (garden) be the best place for their long term pen? Do they have to have shader not something that should worry them in our changeable weather? X

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:21:18 am »
Some ducks do go to bed of their own accord - just later than hens do, i.e. once it's actually dark. They will also 'herd' quite well - just make the route you want them to take really obvious (e.g. use planks initially to gather them in towards the door).

They're naturally inquisitive animals, but also prone to panicking, so keep your movements slow and let them come to you. Ours will do anything for a juicy slug or earthworm  :D .

Domestic ducks aren't all that keen on flying, so you shouldn't need to clip their wings.

We keep ours in the garden, and they're quite happy. They do like having trees and bushes for shade though.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
they are easy to herd .... easier than chickens as you can put to bed early if you are going out.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:24:32 am »
Feed them at night in there house and take their feed away during the day (when they are old enough. My ducks roam 8 acres during the day and from 6pm are itching to get back into their house for some feed. They are Indian Runner and very skittish

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 12:21:45 pm »
Give them time to settle down.  They are new to you, but you are also new to them.  Establish a routine for them, for feeding times.  Giving them their last bit of grain at bedtime inside is good.  For herding, use two long canes and gently direct them towards the house.  They'll soon get the idea and you will all calm down and gain in confidence.  No jumping around, shouting or waving the canes anywhere above about a foot above the ground. If it doesn't work first time, try again.  Being young, they will all want to stick together so don't tend to scatter.
We had Muscoveys, which could fly, but the drakes soon got too heavy.  The ducks would fly round a bit, and if they were being annoyed by drakes they would fly along towards a fence, then lift over it at the last moment while the drakes all crashed.  Great strategy!  Sometimes the ducks would fly over into next door's field and couldn't work out how to get back, so we would have to go and walk them round.  We never clipped wings for the very reason you gave - fox.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepblue

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:35:18 pm »
They will sell their ducky souls for peas!!   

After a couple of days of bringing them peas, mine now come charging over as soon as they see me carrying the pot that I put them in....have to watch that you don't get crushed in the stampede  :&> :&> :&>

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:39:42 am »
From my xperience they don't go home like chickens do at night but Harding isn't usually too difficult when there is food involved. I found that having a funnel effect to heard them into i.e. Wider in the pen and narrowing at their shelter works well other wise we end up going round and round their house
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 09:59:47 pm »
Sorry for the long gap, thank you all for the amazing messages. 

Our ducks are growing quick but are still very nervous around me, although it is quite comedy when they all squeeze through the door at the same time!! We’ve now had them 2 weeks so I’m hoping to win some hearts soon, I’m assuming ducks will become as friendly and tame as chickens? Peas was a top tip, but not quite enough for them not to head as fast as they can away, yet.

I’m still very confused by what I’m reading about if I should have food and water in their hut with them over night? Some say it makes everything messy (and boy do they make a mess) other say they need water and food. Any thoughts as to if I should put food/water in with them? If so what are the best containers to limit mess and spillage? Any top tips? Come to that, should they have food with them all day (like chickens) or should I feed them at set times and limit what they eat?

I’m sure these are all very dull questions but you read one way and then read the exact opposite.

I’m putting them away at night but wondered as they are in a Fox proofed run (dig guards etc) whether I should just leave them to enjoy their evening as I worry I’m putting them to bed too early? I’m putting them away about 8 and they don’t get let out again till 7-8ish am. Should I leave them to sort themselves out as long as they are in their run?

Not sure why I’m so much more nervous about managing the Ducks, than the chickens.....I think it must be the whole needing water thing!!

Thanks all for the info and the great advice
Cheers Nic

Bobie

• Joined May 2018
  • Essex
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 12:35:10 pm »
Hello,

I've had runner ducks before, and they were bonkers lol
I always left food and water "together" outside during the day, so unlimited food, but never in their house at night, as it will be just a sodden mess as they do wash down their food with every mouthful, making it very wet inside.

I also, made sure that I would put them away every night in their house at dusk, as mine would rather go and sit in the middle of their little pond, rather than go inside for safety.
They are daft, but I prefer them over chicken tbh , are very funny, but very, very messy and more smelly!! lol

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »
My ducks use the grandpas feeder with the chickens which works ok but it does mean that they aren't open to bribery when you want to put them away. When I kept the ducks and chickens separately the ducks were fed in the morning and then a bit at night to encourage them to go to bed.
I had the same questions about feed and particularly water in their house. I have tried all sorts of containers but haven't found anything that works so now, no food or water in their house. They certainly don't seem any the worse for it.
As for putting them to bed at night, if you are sure your pen is fox proof, then I see no reason why you should stress you and them out by putting them way.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Chicken_House

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:10:58 am »
Thank you! As you say they make a right old mess and don’t seem any the worse for having no food or water over night so I’ll stick with that. Grandpa feeders I’ve never heard of look great.....now to train the chickens and ducks on being smart enough to use it!! ;D

aboud

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 10:16:04 am »
I don't put mine away with food or water and they seem to be fine.  I do try and let them out as early as possible though, especially when it's hot.

I found that, with repetition, they soon picked up the routine of 'going to bed'.  But some solid boards definitely helped with herding in the early days!   

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:34:33 am »
My ducks use the grandpas feeder with the chickens which works ok but it does mean that they aren't open to bribery when you want to put them away. When I kept the ducks and chickens separately the ducks were fed in the morning and then a bit at night to encourage them to go to bed.
I had the same questions about feed and particularly water in their house. I have tried all sorts of containers but haven't found anything that works so now, no food or water in their house. They certainly don't seem any the worse for it.
As for putting them to bed at night, if you are sure your pen is fox proof, then I see no reason why you should stress you and them out by putting them way.

Mink
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 11:05:32 pm »
It took some time to train my ducks. Repeat, repeat, repeat until they get the message. In winter they go to bed only a short time after the chickens and by themselves, summer with light is a bit more of a challenge, as they just want to eat and play with moths all night. I call them with a handful of treat and then walk behind them to get them to their beds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS