Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Clackmannan too!!!  (Read 3542 times)

sandy

Hello from Clackmannan too!!!
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:21:58 pm »
Not been in Clackmannan long and just had a moment to look for advice after joining this forum. I bought some hens and attended Rosemary's course in Alloa and found it very good, meeting some like minded people and sampleing some good home cooking, well worth a visit. I am putting into practice the advice and find keeping chickens relitively easy. I have a busy B&B and will use the eggs when I get some and only hope I can find them as the chickens have begun escaping into our more formal garden and are very attracted to all my flowers!!!! Between our young dog and the Hens our garden is becomming more like a prison camp, our dog seems to love pink plants and has been riping them out at any oppertunity and the hens escaping into my bushes and over the fence, never mind, I will crack it after several trips to DIY shops and cut up arms!!! :chook: :dog:

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Hello from Clackmannan too!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 03:24:26 pm »
Hi and welcome

Carole

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 03:57:40 pm »
I need to fence mine in too although it seems to go against the idea of free range, but I need to let my dogs use the front garden too for water retrieve training as the burn runs through it.  Ideas would be welcome, Sandy - are you in Clackmannan itself, I am.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:43:37 pm »
I do live in Clackmannan and run the B&B on the Main Street, the idea is to have fresh eggs on tap, we've got no eggs as yet but soon we hope. I now have decided I may buy another gaurd dog as sometimes I worry about people who come to the door for accomadation, we have 2 large dogs already that are good but after reading that one of our guests has jusst been jailed for 8 years for robbing Guest house owners I wand some added protection even though the man was good as gold here, neadless to say I am now a bit worried by random men wanting accomadation so a tough dog would be good.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:43:51 pm »
Depending on the age of your dogs you can train them to bark on command.  Next time you hear one bark, praise and treat and immediately give the command you want to use;  'speak' is common but you might want to use 'who's there'  Continue every time you hear your dog's make a noise - even if just when playing with each other.  Then progress onto using the command and see what happens; if no response, go back to waiting for them to make a noise.
Failing which I can lend you my GWP, she barks LOUD when anyone comes to the door and sounds sooooo fierce - but she might eat your other dogs  ;)  Unfortunately she's a pussycat with people but not with other dogs - ok with boy dogs after she's met them, but other bitches are Hester food.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:58:14 pm »
Hello,

I must go and introduce myself properly, but just wanted to add about talking your dogs to speak. When I took my first collie to dog training, the trainer suggested it, and I trained her speak on command. If I asked her to guard, she would speak, which does sound effective.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:47 pm »
You have a garden?  Oh how I wish.  Every time I look around I have a pig nosing up the turf.

Welcome from from us here in Normandy!

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 05:33:18 pm »
welcome and hello!
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 08:33:05 pm »
Hello Sandy & Welcome  ;)
Regards
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS