Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need help with a film script  (Read 5800 times)

tobtob_79

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Need help with a film script
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 03:53:45 pm »
Thanks for the tips and discussions everyone! The eggs collection-problems is a nice anecdote too. Doganjo thanks for the daily routine, getting a better sense of it - though she won't have dogs it still helps with other bits.

At this stage I'm just writing off my own back - but it I'm lucky enough to get a sale I'm sure you'll find me back here with lots of thank-yous! Realistically I won't even sell it (the film world is as sticky as anyone's at present, particularly UK with the scrapping of the Film Council) but I'm a writer-director so hope to raise just enough finance to get it made myself.

And back to Cameron's new questions: to keep it as simple as possible it would have been a mild winter, and she won't be building livestock up. However, she is in financial trouble and she's only really just been managing for the last three years (at the time she set up there was plenty to by up the house and land with enough left over to get started - but the enterprise is more costly than she imagined, on top of making mistakes and losing a lot of potential product along the way).

At the opening of the story a machine, something like a satellite, crashes into her orchard destroying almost half of it (so probably a good thing they haven't started producing just yet) - though the characters who turn up to deal with this crash offer her a nice sum of money to hire an outbuilding of hers for a few days to reassemble the machine before taking it away.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:28 pm »
not being a downer but
something like a satellite
, doesn't it make it slightly less believable??

fair enough financial stress, but the chances of a satellite landing are slim, and i doubt it (even should it fall) it would be quite as impacting, by destroying half the land, makes it seem like a huge explosion.

personally i wouldn't buy it

sorry, just voicing a concern  :-\  :-[

{tell me if i'm being to picky  ::) }
personally i wouldn't buy it

tobtob_79

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 02:02:06 am »
Ha, fair enough! It's not a satellite, and the story is entirely revolved around the mystery of what it is that does crash into her orchard. It brings people, technology and disruption to her peaceful world!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 08:50:33 am »
we have gliders circling our land - oh and hot air balloons. loads of them have crashed into fields locally over the years blinkin things. sorry, just digressed somewhat there.
does this lady have family? do they come and help with fencing, financially, etc?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:13 am »
At the opening of the story a machine, something like a satellite, crashes into her orchard destroying almost half of it (so probably a good thing they haven't started producing just yet) - though the characters who turn up to deal with this crash offer her a nice sum of money to hire an outbuilding of hers for a few days to reassemble the machine before taking it away.
Sorry, I'm with Cameron on this - it's not a science fiction story so better to stick to something that could happen in real life.  A juggernaut or a bus full of pensioners or tourists if she is fairly near a road.  Driver collapses and it all goes haywire - hey I could write a story too ;D ;D ;D  My cousin is a well known writer, and a free lance film and TV director (directed some episodes of Corrie, would you believe  ::))- she did a university degree in both the UK and USA - you may have heard of her - mostly crime novels I think, Annie Ross (that's not her full name, but me and my two cousins were all called after our grandmother by that name - got a bit confusing when we were kids and all playing together  ;) ;D ;D)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

tobtob_79

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 02:09:48 pm »
I should have mentioned the genre at the start - it is actually a mystery sci-fi. I've chosen this out of the way self-efficient base as the technology and chaos that descends on the poor woman is a nice contrast to her need for a natural and quiet way of life. The crashed machine is the subject of the film, as are other minor incidents that occur at the same time the crash does - the characters around it drive the story. The small-holding is the setting - which helps the story and plot in a number of ways.

Plumseverywhere sadly she doesn't have family (she lost her family, the key incident that drives her into this new independent way of life) so the fencing and financing are all down to her, along with everything else! She will have built have a small network of acquaintances, locals to trade with and so on in the area over the last three years. But the character herself wouldn't even think about asking anyone for help, even if it means destroying her own chances at success!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 03:32:22 pm »
Aha, makes sense now!  Good luck.
Here's a list of my cousin's books on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annie-Ross/e/B001KDGX3E/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:34:35 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 06:17:41 pm »
You should base it in Clackmannan, lot's of strange things go on here!! the locals wouldn't notice but only ask if the alians were Celtic or Ranger supporters ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »
Now Sandy, I am born Clackmannan... ::) :P 8)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 12:34:31 pm »
Hi,

Sounds like an interesting storyline. In terms of rountine, we have no cows but we do have dairy goats, so this might help give an idea.

Up in the morning, let out dogs for a wee, give cats biscuits before the dogs come back in, Go up to the goats to check in case one is kidding. Let out poultry (2 hen runs, 2 duck runs, 1 little hen house). Back inside for a cup of tea. Then go back outside with the dogs, up to goatshed. Milk all the goats (by hand or using machine), weigh each goats milk. Prepare all the goats concentrated food, if they have recently kidded chop them some veggies up as well. Give the goats their food. Feed any kids, whether newborn or a month or so old with the milk. Check goats water, if any need fresh, or more water then complete that. Check they have hay, top it up if necessary. Take milk down to the house, give some to the cats/dogs. Filter and strain milk, put in the fridge to cool, or into freezer if there is spare to freeze.

Prepare a hot mash of poultry food, and go round the runs dishing it out. Check water is clean and replace if necessary. Collect eggs.

Back to house for breakfast.

After breakfast, time for your character to hit the veggie garden (I would normally be going to work now though). Sowing seedilings, and bits to be dug over no doubt. Then there are other jobs like cleaning out the henhouse, filling their hoppers, mucking out the goats, routine worming and vaccinating, foot trimming etc etc, collecting hay or straw from a nearby farmer. Our goats get fresh hay in early afternoon, then another feed at 5pm of chopped veggies or beetpulp or alflafa. Goats need to be milked, watered and fed again in the evening. The poultry get some grain scattered in the afternoon, and all the poultry shut away as it gets dark.

I would agree if it is early spring your setting is then a greenhouse/polytunnel would be good.

Hope it does go well for you.

Hardfeather

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 04:45:12 pm »
Think groundhog day.

tobtob_79

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »
Cheers Ballingall! Blimey it sounds like hard work, don't know how you all do it. Making films is tough, but you only really shoot for a few weeks out of every six months or so (the rest is all sort of office based)!

Sandy

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 08:27:56 am »
James, sorry!!! [quoteNow Sandy, I am born Clackmannan][/quote] I am referring only those who stay here in Clackmannan, the place has even effected me, I do the stranges of things without the influence of chemicals!!!!! Moving out frees you so you are now safe  ;)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 08:31:53 am »
James, sorry!!! [quoteNow Sandy, I am born Clackmannan]
I am referring only those who stay here in Clackmannan, the place has even effected me, I do the stranges of things without the influence of chemicals!!!!! Moving out frees you so you are now safe  ;)
[/quote]

Sandy I was only teasing, I know exactly what you mean. ;) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS