Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What right have they what right have I  (Read 4625 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: What right have they what right have I
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:26 am »
I am not blaming anyone per se, however I do feel that I as a consumer have the right to decide whether or not I eat meat that has been through what I consider to be a non natural process, whether it be from cloned cow embryos or from genetic modification or just from growth promoters and hormones.  If the meat was clearly and obviously labelled it would cause me no concern as I would then just avoid buying it.

I dont tend to eat meat that I can n ot provenance anyway, but feel I am exceptionally lucky  being able to do so.  Labelling is very misleading in UK and most of europe and I feel that as a consumer my right is to know what I am eating and where it came from.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »
I as a consumer have the right to decide whether or not I eat meat that has been through what I consider to be a non natural process

Ok, So should they also label meat that is bred using AI ? because thats not a "natural" process either.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 07:59:29 am »
Arent you being just a touch pedantic? 

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:05 am »
Possibly, and Im on the fence on this one, but what Im saying is that a lot of the things we think are "natural" these days would once have been considered un-natural.

So taking "Natural" to extremes, a label on your sunday roast could read: "From a Cow conceived by AI, Delivered by C section, Got an infection at 3 months and kept alive with anti-biotics whilst eating grass fertilised with pelleted nitrogen fertiliser, whilst flys were kept away with a chemical repellant."

are we therefore saying that humans conceived in a Lab (ie. test tube babies) are also un-natural etc etc.

All Im saying is that we choose when to use the term "Natural" and when to ignore it.

......and I know I will regret the flack I will get over this post, but we cant just throw our arms in the air and say it's un-natural and therefore bad.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:37 am »
Actually, I agree.  We do change our views over the years - some good, some bad.  Is till can't see a problem with thsi meat apart form it not having been labelled.  There was nothing actually wrong with the meat - not poisoned, reared well by a dedicated farming family from the stories I've heard, who are devastated by all of this.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 02:06:10 pm »
That is my whole point, that the meat was not labelled.  If it was I and anyone else who does not want to eat this meat would have been able to avoid it.  Now its in the food chain who knows who ate it.  Its not what it is, its my right to decide, and therefore it should have been made public and labelled.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 02:40:55 pm »
yes ...I agree with you there HM . The labeling is a total joke and many things are legally hidden by omission . Down to ££££ $$$$ and political and corporate corruption again .
I would rather eat a bowl of good healthy Kellogg's corn flakes than eat 'iffy' meat !!!! er oh no hang on , can't eat them either ...Kellogg's use GM corn and choose by omission , not to tell the public .

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 02:52:55 pm »
I don't actually think there is any food 'safe' unless you grow/rear it yourself and then again what about the food for your anuimals/plants - are they 'safe'  I actually buy my meat from friends now rather than supermarkets, and feel that it's at least a wee bit healthier.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »
I do like a nice healthy debate......

On the subject of labelling, where would you like to draw the line?

a) GM?
b) Cloned?
c) Given Antibiotics at any stage of it's life?
d) Been treated with any chemical product?
e) Been fed any non-organic feed?
f) Been a result of AI or non-natural birth?

Thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 10:53:18 am »
If I wanted all that I would buy organic.  I would like truthful, straightforward, labelling showing traceability and yes I want to know if I am eating anything that is GMO or cloned or such. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS