Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Obtaining milk for cheese  (Read 5116 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Obtaining milk for cheese
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:05:18 pm »
I am looking into the possibility of making cheese. Is there any way of getting milk for cheese without:

a) buying a cow
b) buying milk form the supermarket.

I don't know what the legislation is with regard to buying milk directly from the dairy.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Obtaining milk for cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:33:25 pm »
Are you in England/Scotland?

Up here in Scotland you cannot buy unpasteurised milk from a farm for human consumption. You can buy (unpasteurised) goats milk for animal consumption (i.e. puppies, other young stock, feeding to pigs), what you then do with it is your problem....

I have previously played around with shop bought cows milk, when it was cheap. Now just use my own goats milk.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »
I'm in England. I'm going to speak to our nieghbours tomorrow (big sheep people) and see what they suggest. There's a dairy farm in the next village so I might pop down there or give them a ring.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:31:57 pm »
if they don't know you , they may not say they will sell you some over the phone, if it is illegal !!! I thought there was some EU regulation that prohibited the sale of fresh milk . I would go speak to them face to face , and let them know where you are and what you want to do .
 Once you have the initial contact , I can't see why they wouldn't sell you some . Good luck however you do it ..

cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:46 am »
It's illegal to sell unpasteurised milk in Scotland.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:05:52 pm »
I bwas at the bath and west show a few weeks ago and the farmer milked and let you taste milk straight from the cow.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:29:33 pm »
Yes - searching around on the net there seems to be a thriving market for "raw" milk in England so I have detailed DH to go and chat to our neighbours this week about the possibility of approaching the local dairy farmer down the road.

He seems very enthusiastic about the idea.

YAY!!!

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 05:08:29 pm »
There is nothing like fresh milk straight from a cow .. I had some to make cheese with but when I went to the fridge to use it everyone had put it on cornflakes, drank it or otherwised used it /sigh lol

Hoping to get some more soon to actually make cheese with never made cheese before so it's going to be fun!

Sam

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:01:01 pm »
As kids we were brought up on raw milk still warm, we used to sneak into the larder and open the churn and use a spoon to get the lovely cream. I would have cows if TB wasn't such a problem.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 04:48:08 pm »
Over here its normal to buy milk straight from the cow (so to speak). 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:03 am »
over here is - France, HM?
Your are so lucky - no chance in Scotland. I grew up with going to the farmer with a bottle every morning, this is all so sad...I'll keep looking. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS