Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: creeping buttercup  (Read 14595 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
Re: creeping buttercup
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 09:42:50 pm »
yep you're right it's definitely acid around here, but the pasture is old at least 17th cent, as I have seen the old planning maps. And next to a river, so can't use chems and don't really want to. How to manage this type of pasture? :thinking:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 09:00:33 am »
I was also wondering what the prob was other than not wanting them to outcompete other (more nutritious?) sp and reducing biodiversity?  Our sheep do eat them, so its only the resting and hay fields. We are giving a light dressing  (farmer can only bring 1 dumpy bag each time - so at 600 kg over 6 acres - its going to take a while!!!) of granulated lime spring and autumn in the hope that it will redress the balance over time ( im hoping that there is a cululative effect cause I think we should be putting about 4 T/acre to make a one off change), meanwhile enjoying them.

Workhorse

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »
Hi Workhorse :wave: - we might be  :horse: neighbours (oh, pardon the pun!).  Perhaps you could borrow our shetland ram, he will soon see off the dog walkers ;D ;D

:wave:, I am in corfe Castle, we waited for the buttercup to go over before cutting for hay, we got 450 odd small bales, Yaaay!!  :sunshine:

Vinny D

• Joined Jun 2012
  • West Wales
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 02:29:06 pm »
Hi,

The paragraph below is my post from a previous thread.  Last year we went to a local agronomist who took 5 samples of soil from our 5 acres.  You should do this in the spring when the weeds are growing (docks at the small rosette stage).

We have had the results from the agronomist.  PH was 5.8 and for grass needs to be about 6.5 - 7 (out of 14), Potash and Phosphate were ok.  He recommended that we cut the paddock really low, box and dispose of the cuttings.  Then using granulated lime put on 200kg and 1.5 cwt of fertilizer (20/10/10) per acre, leave for 7 - 10 days then spray with Headland Transfer , a selective weed killer.  This is the stage we are at now and although we only sprayed on Friday the buttercups, docks and nettles are black and withering already.  Then in 10 days time we are to chain harrow to loosen the top of the soil and spread new grass seed, a horse and pony mix, roll in and leave for a further 3-4 weeks.  Hopefully this will get the job done.  Will keep you posted with the results in 5 weeks time.

The outcome is that 85-90% of the buttercups have gone.  We limed again this year same quantities as last year half the amount of fertilizer and the grass has come back really lush and dark green.  We graze 10 falabellas on our land in small paddocks moving them before the grass gets too short, poo pick, chain harrow and top any of the longer grass although its lots of work the results are worth it.

Hope this helps.

V
www.falabellawales.co.uk   Mini horses and cairn terriers

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 01:03:05 am »
Not seen this topic before .
However it's very useful to read it . I don't have paddocks or fields of butter cup just two pocket handkerchiefs of lawn but one lawn is butter cup infested.
 It was fed several tons of 6 yr old composted stable muck & straw when the lawn was constructed 10 years ago . The other smaller lawn construct was fed with composted cow muck & straw .. about 3 tons 
 A horses digestion is different to ruminants, buttercup seeds don't get killed in the horses digestive system , they stay dormant in composing manure as well. Unless you compost doing the Berkley 18 day hot composting method which tends to kill off all seeds if it's done properly .

I think I'll try usingthe dethatcher to clear out  a lot of the creepers then feed & weed as indicated in previous posts .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS