Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! New to all things croft related.  (Read 4394 times)

pinkwing

• Joined Aug 2018
Help! New to all things croft related.
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:46:38 pm »
Hi all, gosh I hope this makes sense. Here goes...
Myself and my husband (we live in England) have been considering buying land in Scotland. We want a more 'off grid' life and have been looking at land for sale. All of a sudden we find ourselves coming across 'crofting' having never heard the term before. We feel we understand some of the information but would really appreciate some advice. If we were to buy a piece of land, (become owners and not tenants) say around 3 acres and a small part of this land was decrofted, are we likely to be granted planning permission to build a small dwelling on the decrofted piece of land to live in? (No idea how planning permission works in Scotland especially with regards to croft land) We would be looking at working the crofted land. Thanks in advance and any advice welcome as we are completely out of our depth with regards to knowledge with croft land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help! New to all things croft related.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:02:43 pm »
In Scotland there are two types of small farm. 

Crofts are legal entities and are mostly in the Highlands and Islands. 

Smallholdings can be anywhere in the country and do not have legal status or attachments.

If you are looking at a specific piece of land that has been referred to as 'decrofted' then you need to find out about the legal issues regarding croft land.

All planning applications are made to the relevant County Council, and usually by an architect who has drawn up either specific house plans, or an application may be made for 'planning in principle' which just gives general consent, and specific consent will have to be applied for at a later date.  To my knowledge that applies whether it is a croft, a smallholding, a farm, or a piece of land

Hope that helps?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Help! New to all things croft related.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 09:23:30 pm »
Whether land is under crofting tenure or not doesn't make any difference to applying for planning permission for a dwelling.  It will depend on the councils strategic plan, the site, local factors etc etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS