Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smell  (Read 3171 times)

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
smell
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:22:24 am »
With these sunny days and sometimes wet nights the garden has begun to smell a little from the chickens/ducks.the coop and duck house r cleaned out once a week and the smell is coming from the mud itself as it is getting wet,poohed on and then warmed up in the sun.I'm confident that someone else must have this problem aswell and was interested in how they combat it???

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Re: smell
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:45 am »
I think we all have the same problem from time to time.

Remove hens

Sprinkle a little Stalosan or similar over the effected area & fork it over to 2" deep

Put hens back in.

My hens are on a slabbed area just now, as i've reseeded about 75% of the grass   ::)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:14 am »
I fork over as deep as the fork goes, got slabs down as stepping stones to stop compacting, that generally does it. Depends how many chickens on what size space though.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:15:10 am »
Mine are in a run much of the time, but allowed into the garden a few hours each day.  The garden is big and no smell there, but the run is a bit smelly sometimes.  I have tried Type 1, builders sand, ordinary earth since they destroyed the grass that was there originally - they plough everything up.  Now I have a routine which works reasonably well - at least in summer.  I use lots of straw in their sheds and clean that out weekly onto the run, and the old straw is raked up, and wheelbarrowed to my compost heap.  I must try stalosan.  I have just used Diatom for everything previously.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:37:10 am »
Where do you get stalosan? I was told not to use straw for the chickens and ducks as it brings on mites??

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
You think chickens and ducks smell - if i could bottle the turkey smell as a burglar deterrent I would - YUK!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:46:58 am »
Where do you get stalosan? I was told not to use straw for the chickens and ducks as it brings on mites??
Yes, I've been told that recently but so far (7 years) haven't had any *touching as many bits of wood as are near the computer*
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »
You think chickens and ducks smell - if i could bottle the turkey smell as a burglar deterrent I would - YUK!!

I (strangely) find the smell of turkey sweet in a weird kind of way...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS