Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags for Stores Lambs  (Read 4143 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Ear tags for Stores Lambs
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:34 am »
We were having a look at our lambs yesterday whilst the last of the sheep were sheared, our neighbour who sheared for us and brought his dog along which made life a lot easier passed comment that they are fine lambs, but not ready for Fat Lamb market and suggested if they are still not there in a month, to send them for Stores.

Now, the question I have is, what tags do they need to go as Stores?  Currently they are tagged with a single slaughter tag of the CPH they were born on.  Do we need to retag with a EID and a visual? and, if so, which Flock number?

I think I might give SAMU a call in the week to find out but thought someone may have an idea here.

bamford6

Re: Ear tags for Stores Lambs
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:22:35 am »
you will need a new tag  .i think you will have to be registerd and then you will have youre tag in scotland you have to have 2 tags as you carnt sell .i have a registerd flok off 200

farming-girl

Re: Ear tags for Stores Lambs
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:52:10 am »
Hi

Legally you do not need to retag as you can sell as stores with a slaughter tag with only a flock number, however you seriouslly limit buyers by doing this as the buyer of your lambs, will at some point (before they are 12 months old) need to send them either direct to killing or through a market for killing and when he sends them in he has to do "batch recording" in his flock register.  This means he has to put how many lambs he sent with each different flock number, hence will require him to catch every lamb & read any tag.  I suspect most potential buyers will not want to do this, hence I would sugest you tag them with double tags, one EID and one normal match up.   Hope this helps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS