Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 placentas, 1 lamb  (Read 1098 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
2 placentas, 1 lamb
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:52 pm »
Has anyone had a ewe abort a lamb and then have a healthy lamb a week or so later? Reason I ask is I had one Shetland left to lamb, she was very small compared to others, and we assumed she wasn't in lamb. Others lambed 3 weeks ago. Last week I found part of a skull in field, no signs she had maybe lost a lamb, we wondered if a bird had dropped it.

Today, with no signs at all she went into labour. Another very difficult lambing requiring the vet, thanks to the person I bought them from using a large texel tip.

Anyway, a healthy large lamb delivered, and just been out to check on them and found two separate placentas, both have cords etc, so I wonder if it's possible she lost one previously??

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: 2 placentas, 1 lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:02:12 pm »
I would say no , if she opened her cervix to abort a lamb the second lamb would have died , plus if she had aborted then she would have cleansed as well or it would go rotten and cause blood poisoning  .  Only once in 50+ years with sheep, I had a ewe abort a single lamb in late jan and then she produced a live lamb in late april

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS