Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep kneeling to eat  (Read 3592 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
Sheep kneeling to eat
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:12:40 am »
Hi

We have just got 2 new sheep and 1 has a slight limp and kneels to eat. The vet has given us an anti inflammatory to try but I wondered if any one had any ideas.

He seems fine other than this.

Thanks

(They are 10 month old Swiss Valias)

SallyN

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Nr Chard, Somerset
Re: Sheep kneeling to eat
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:33:06 am »
Have you turned them and had a look at the lame foot? Might be something obvious you can see? And it might be an idea to go back to the previous owner too, in case they know of a recent accident which might have bruised the foot for example.

I would be worried about footrot as they are imported - did the vet look at this as a possibility? might be an idea to quarantine them from the rest of the flock for a while?
Smallholding without the smallholding, on various bits of rented land and a big veg garden! Small flock of Dorset Down sheep, assorted hens and a couple of idle ponies.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:57 am »
It will likely be a problem with one or both of the front feet.  Have you washed off all the feet thoroughly to see if there's any CODD, footrot, a stone, scald, etc.?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:11 am »
They kneel to take the weight off a sore foot. It could be in the leg/shoulder, but in my experience its usually the foot. Have a good look between the cleets and see if there's any swelling, raw looking skin on nasty smell. If yes, then an antibiotic spray should work.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:53:06 am »
Was it lame before you had it? Or something that’s developed since?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS