Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pond  (Read 2520 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Pond
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:24:39 am »
I decide last year to dig out a garden pond. Never got very far due to all the wet weather we had. I have made a start again and its very hard due to the amount of stone in the ground. I feel there must have been a wall or a building there in the past. The cottage was built in 1809 so its more than possible. My OH thinks I am mad. Due to all the trees the place I picked is about the only site I can have it. Its to be a wildlife pond. We have frogs, toads and newts which i am sure will make use of it. Anyway this is my project for my summer. I went to the garden centre on Saturday and bought seeds for my veg plot and a few plants for the garden thinking I could have a look at there water features. Don't have anymore. I know I can get online water fountains that work by solar power. anyone tried these ?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Pond
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:11:54 pm »
I was given a solar pump which floated.  The water jet was about the same as a little boy weeing  :raining:
Good luck with your pond - ours was dug out of solid rock and needed machinery but it's lovely now, and all that work soon fades into the past.  Our frogspawn hatched a few days ago and now loads of little black wrigglers are eating the pile of spawn which was killed by the ice just after it was laid.  The king cups are just starting to flower and new water lily leaves are emerging.  Half our Koi were killed in the winter, but it's lovely seeing the remaining five out and about again.  I found three minnows which seemed to have appeared from nowhere, until I remembered my youngest grandson had been doing something secretive just after he'd been gold panning last year - he'd caught the minnows and popped them into our pond!
You'll have endless enjoyment from your pond - everyone should have one  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:34:59 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife. I am looking forward to having it but doubt i will have fish. Too many Herons in our area.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:16 am »
Try a pickaxe. When I dug mine I wish I had one. so many stones that stopped the spade so I used a fork to loosen all the mud and stones and then scooped with the spade.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:43:06 am »
Just don't put ducks near it  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:22:45 pm »
I did have ducks a few years ago and gave them a paddling pool. Was for ever cleaning it out so gave up on the ducks !!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS