Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice after recent lambing  (Read 1603 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
Advice after recent lambing
« on: April 15, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »
Hi all, first ewe of 3 lambed a single on Friday. Both doing well. Next lambs expected anytime in next 3 weeks, just wondering if I keep them inside with the other two, or let them back outside?

Thanks

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Advice after recent lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:36:26 pm »
Can you tell anything off your girls? Are their udders very noticeable or have they 'bagged up' with milk? 8 of mine have lambed now and I have one left due in next few weeks, she's not showing any imminent signs so has gone back out for now.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:44:41 pm »
Are they first timers (may show almost no signs of even being pregnant) or old girls (generally the opposite).  Can you put the lambed ewe nearby but separated? 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:52:24 pm »
I tend to keep all of mine in until I've got 3 or 4 ewes and their lambs ready to go out. I wouldn't put a ewe and lamb outside on her own, likewise I like to keep my in lamb ewes in until they've lambed. The last couple of years I've had 1 ewe tupped a few weeks earlier than the others, she's just stayed in until I've got a couple of other ewes and lambs to go out with her.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:35 pm »
Three is a funny number, you can't put the ewe and her lamb out alone and even when the next ewe lambs you can't put the two ewes out as you'll upset the ewe that hasn't yet lambed! I'd keep them all in until after they've lambed and turn out together.

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:32 am »
Thanks all! Yes three has proved to be an awkward number. Will keep them in. All first timers. They have plenty of space at least

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:16:15 am »

Just to be different, if you don't know when the others are due, I'd let them all out so they can get some grass. (I know that will depend on how easy they are to catch again if you need to though).

If the weather is good, we don't even bring ewes in once they've lambed, but instead build a hurdle pen around the ewe to allow bonding and to prevent anybody else from stealing the lambs.  Just a thought....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS