Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sable Poots  (Read 1665 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Sable Poots
« on: April 15, 2018, 02:32:55 pm »
Does anyone or has anyone kept Sable Poots?

My daughter is quite keen on them.

Just wondering how hardy they are?

And how big are they compared to say Pekins? Wondering if they are big enough not to be seen as a tasty snack by our cats (who never bother with our little Pekins) or by the feral cats that we seem to have hanging around at the moment. Or to be taken by the sparrowhawk and so forth?

They free range in the day.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Re: Sable Poots
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
We keep sablepoots, they are the only poultry we have now.  We've kept many breeds in the past, including pekins, but sablepoots are by far the favourite.

They aren't as round as pekins, about half their size.

We have 5 farm cats who never bother them, and we leave them out all day even when we aren't at home.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:48:23 pm »
What sort of ground will you be keeping them on?  Sabelpoots, with their vulture hocks, can easily get concrete boots in muddy conditions.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:06:22 pm »
Thanks both.

We are in the Welsh hills so have our share of rain and the ground does get very wet.

The flock free range basically on the lawn! The larger breeds do venture down the wetter fields but the little fowl don't seem to follow.

The Pekins have never had any problems with their feathery feet but I'm off to look up vulture hocks  :o :o :o

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 05:10:11 pm »
Oh, so they are more feathery around the feet than Pekins!

Have you had problems with them JedM?

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:27:19 pm »
Mine are free range on about 6 acres, but only use a small patch of lawn near their house.  This lawn is on heavy clay and it does get very wet, but have never had problems with mud balls or anything sticking to their feet!  They seem to know where to tread when it's wet  ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:45:49 pm »
Thanks, that's good to know.

Think we might give then a go then!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 05:38:46 pm »
I have one and my son loves him, very tame. I took him into playgroup and all the toddlers loved feeding and stroking him. He's been in a shed all winter unless it's been frozen or dry so I can't really comment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS