Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deep injection on 2 week old lambs, how?  (Read 2264 times)

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Deep injection on 2 week old lambs, how?
« on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:35 am »
I need to deep inject Cobactan into three 2 week old lambs.  Not done deep injection on such young lambs so would appreciate any advice on where or how please.  Subcutaneous I’m fine with, just a bit wary of this first encounter.  Vet said neck but its got a few vital bits I’d hate to damage.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Deep injection on 2 week old lambs, how?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:00 am »
There's a lot more muscle in the neck before you get to vital structures than you may think. The aim is to go in the top half, closer to the shoulder than the head.
If you're not happy with neck, the alternative is the thigh. I usually find with lambs that the easiest way to feel a good juicy bit of muscle on the front of the leg is to bend the leg. Try not to go on the back of the thigh as it is possible to hit the sciatic nerve. But if you feel a good thick bit of muscle on the front of the leg, you should be in exactly the right place.
Some people prefer to use the neck as injections can cause scarring in the muscle and the leg is a more valuable cut off meat than the neck.
If you are unsure where and how to inject, then speak to your vet again, they should be able to show you, at least for the first time so as you are comfortable.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:37:07 pm »
To do intramuscular in the rear leg, I usually put the animal on its bottom and inject into the fleshy thigh facing me.  At the front of the leg, not the back, provided there is enough muscle there.  (Sometimes you're injecting lambs who aren't doing well, and there's precious little muscle anywhere.)

Our vet did recommend using the muscle at the back of the upper front leg (pull the leg forward and inject into the muscle that connects the shoulder to the rib cage) but on hill and primitive sheep I found  there wasn't as much muscle there as I'd like.

Then I was shown how to inject into the muscle in the pelvis, going through the gap formed by the spine and the pelvic girdle, and I've used that technique ever since.  I much prefer it to the other sites.  But get your vet to show you how to find the right spot.

I've never done I/m in the neck, didn't know you could!  Always a school day here on TAS  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 01:12:54 pm »
Sally thanks for the informative reply, Hopefully I won’t have to try the different options !  The deed was done at 12 o’clock so I just missed your post.

Fsmmutter thanks for your reply which reassured me to go for the neck.  I think I was more traumatised than the first lamb, but all went well and sailed through the other two.  Hardly a bleat between them so it’s the neck again tomorrow but the other side.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS